[comp.sys.hp] SIO Ports on HP400 series workstations

snh@eastek.oz (Sebastien Hadjifotis) (12/27/90)

How many serial ports can be configured on the HP400s & HP433s workstation under
Domain/OS?

A HP engineer informed me that this is limited to the number of AT slots
that are available in the ISA/EISA bus cage.  Only options I have are either
using the Serial/Parallel sold by HP (therefore I can only have 7 ports :-() or
writing a driver for the Stallion card (over 32 ports :-)).  Has this been done
before? I am very interested in hearing any other options.

Would you please email your response.

Thanx in advance,
Sebastien.
|  Sebastien Hadjifotis  Manager - Research and Development   |
|  Eastek Limited.                                            |
|  476 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004,  AUSTRALIA.  |
|  ACSnet     : snh@eastek.oz                                 |
|  UUCP       : uunet!eastek.oz.au!snh                        |
|  Phone      : +61 3 866 2566       Fax:    +61 3 820 9440   |

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (01/11/91)

In article <540@eastek.oz>, snh@eastek.oz (Sebastien Hadjifotis) writes:

  Only options I have are either
  using the Serial/Parallel sold by HP (therefore I can only have 7 ports :-() or
  writing a driver for the Stallion card (over 32 ports :-)).

It's very difficult to write a tty driver for Domain/OS.  You need to use
either the unreleased tty trait, or System V streams.  Or maybe ptys and a
server process.  I don't know of anyone outside Apollo who has done this.

bruce@dannet.UUCP (Bruce Hill) (01/11/91)

In article <540@eastek.oz>, snh@eastek.oz (Sebastien Hadjifotis) writes:
> A HP engineer informed me that this is limited to the number of AT slots
> that are available in the ISA/EISA bus cage.  Only options I have are either
> using the Serial/Parallel sold by HP (therefore I can only have 7 ports :-() or
> writing a driver for the Stallion card (over 32 ports :-)).  Has this been done
> before? I am very interested in hearing any other options.

Danford Corp. sells an AT-bus 8-port Serial Expansion Unit (SEU-3840) for the
HP400s.  Up to four of these can be put into an HP400s.  However, if you want
to use the Domain Token Ring card, you'll have to give up one of the four ISA slots.

Contact the Danford Sales Department at (213) 514-9334 for more info.

Bruce Hill
Project Manager
Danford Corp.
350 W. 5th St.