[comp.sys.hp] Incredibly slow C News unbatch

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (01/09/91)

I know that this problem has been discussed before, but I didn't have the
problem so I didn't pay attention.

I tried to install C News on an HP 370 under HP-UX 6.5.  When relaynews
runs, it unbatches at about 3 articles per _minute_.  What's wrong?

Thanks.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

In article <1991Jan8.192242.1330@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>I tried to install C News on an HP 370 under HP-UX 6.5.  When relaynews
>runs, it unbatches at about 3 articles per _minute_.  What's wrong?

The standard reason for this is that you have an extremely old C News
and you are using our old dbm emulation, which was a performance disaster.
Get a modern copy of the software, with dbz.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

toad@cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) (01/10/91)

> In article <1991Jan8.192242.1330@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) write
> >I tried to install C News on an HP 370 under HP-UX 6.5.  When relaynews
> >runs, it unbatches at about 3 articles per _minute_.  What's wrong?
>
> The standard reason for this is that you have an extremely old C News
> and you are using our old dbm emulation, which was a performance disaster.
> Get a modern copy of the software, with dbz.

OK, what could be the reason if you HAVE a dbz version?  We're seeing about
two articles a minute...

We did try compiling dbz without the O option, as suggested in the problems
file.  We're running SCO Unix on a 386, and there is nothing else running on
the machine.

- The Cellar BBS, a responsible, kind, and caring public-access Unix site -
     Ignore address above; send mail through cellar!toad@uunet.uu.net

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (01/10/91)

>> >I tried to install C News on an HP 370 under HP-UX 6.5.  When relaynews
>> >runs, it unbatches at about 3 articles per _minute_.  What's wrong?

Does it run quickly when you have no articles in the history file and then
suddenly slow way down when the history file reaches some fairly large size?
If so, you might have an older version of dbz with hardcoded limits that
are being exceeded.  Check dbz.c (or better yet, get the latest C News).

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

toad@cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) (01/11/91)

toad@cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) writes:
> > The standard reason for this is that you have an extremely old C News
> > and you are using our old dbm emulation, which was a performance disaster.
> > Get a modern copy of the software, with dbz.
> OK, what could be the reason if you HAVE a dbz version?  We're seeing about
> two articles a minute...
>
> We did try compiling dbz without the O option, as suggested in the problems
> file.  We're running SCO Unix on a 386, and there is nothing else running on
> the machine.

Oops.  Problem solved.

I did so many things that I'm not sure what eventually cleared up the
problem, but I think it was a combination of compiling the very latest
version, NOT using the O option to compile dbz, and deleting any old
relocatables that had anything to do with dbz before running doit.bin.

The problem showed itself in a most irritating way.  Everything worked, but
SLOWLY!  And due to my questionable approaches to fixing the problem, somehow
I managed to fix relaynews but not fix mkhistory or expire.

As a result, mkhistory created a 60 Meg history.pag file based on one day's
worth of full feed (!), and expire took six hours to run while deleting the
equivalent of one day's feed of about 20 low volume groups.

After that, you can imagine how wonderful it was to see half a day's feed
processed in a matter of minutes.  Phew, it's beautiful!