[comp.sys.hp] A1401A DIO-II to DIO adapters for 400s

mike%jaguar.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mike Hibler) (12/11/90)

Anybody know anything about these pups?  I just tried one in a 400s with a
selection of DIO cards:

98642A 4-port MUX	works
98625B HP-IB		ROM identifies and then "UNEXPECTED USE OF FFFFFFAC"
98658A SCSI		ROM identifies and then hangs

I get a Really Bad Feeling from this, it sounds like devices which do DMA
don't work.  The most comprehensive documentation I have seen on these
adapters is from a price quotation and says:

	"Converts DIO-II interface in Model 400s to DIO.
	Includes all hardware and instructions."

No documentation was included with any of the 6 adapters we received.

	Mike Hibler
	mike@cs.utah.edu
	...!utah-cs!mike

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (12/13/90)

re: > Anybody know anything about these pups?  I just tried one in a 400s
    > with a selection of DIO cards:

> 98642A 4-port MUX	works
> 98625B HP-IB		ROM identifies and then "UNEXPECTED USE OF FFFFFFAC"
> 98658A SCSI		ROM identifies and then hangs

I talked to the lab about this.  They tested all of those cards with the
A1401A.  They suspect one or more of:

 1. Two cards set to same select code.
 2. Defective A1401A.
 3. Are you using more than two A1401As in the same computer?
    (This is unsupported and known-to-not-work.)

> No documentation was included with any of the 6 adapters we received.

We're looking at this.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
Internet: rjn@hpfcrjn.FC.HP.COM                       Fort Collins
UUCP: [hplabs|hpu*!hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn                CO          80525-9599

mike%jaguar.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mike Hibler) (01/19/91)

A while back I wrote:

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
> From: mike%jaguar.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mike Hibler)
> Subject: A1401A DIO-II to DIO adapters for 400s
> Date: 10 Dec 90 10:26:19 MST

> Anybody know anything about these pups?  I just tried one in a 400s with a
> selection of DIO cards:
>
> 98642A 4-port MUX	works
> 98625B HP-IB		ROM identifies and then "UNEXPECTED USE OF FFFFFFAC"
> 98658A SCSI		ROM identifies and then hangs
>
> I get a Really Bad Feeling from this, it sounds like devices which do DMA
> don't work. ...

False alarm.  It turned out to be a bad backplane on the particular 400s
machine.  The HP guy said that, though not common, they have seen this
problem before.  Our other 3 400s's were just fine (why didn't I try one
of those in the first place?)

Thanks to Bob Niland for verifying that it should work.

	Mike Hibler
	mike@cs.utah.edu
	...!utah-cs!mike