[comp.sys.hp] HP E-Mail Questions

brantley@cerritos.edu (01/19/91)

My wife works in a HP-9000 environment and has been bugging me about getting
information about e-mail on HP machines.  Can anybody answer the following
questions?

	What e-mail services are offered on the HP-9000?

	Is e-mail software bundled with the operating system?
	  (or is it a separate product requiring a separate purchase?)

	What are the product names?

	What does HP e-mail software cost?

	How good is the HP e-mail services?

	Are there any third-party alternatives to HP e-mail?

	What about connections to InterNet?  UUCP?

--
Douglas Brantley, Cerritos College, 11110 E. Alondra Blvd, Norwalk, CA 90650
Voice: 213-860-2451 ext 219,  InterNet:  BRANTLEY@CERRITOS.EDU

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (01/22/91)

In comp.sys.hp, rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:

> > What about connections to InterNet?  UUCP?
>
> I'm told that HP's internal internet is the largest private TCP/IP network
> in the world, and is connected to "the" Internet (as are many of our
> customers).  We only use UUCP anymore where we can't justify a CISCO box or

     I wasn't aware of the size magnitude of HP's internal internet,
until I did a:

	grep '^15' /etc/hosts | sort | uniq | wc

(HP's IP addresses start with "15".)

     There are over 39,000 (thirty-nine *thousand*) hosts.  However,
some of these are PC's connected to the lan.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

garys@hpfcso.HP.COM (Gary Stringham) (01/23/91)

>	grep '^15' /etc/hosts | sort | uniq | wc

>      There are over 39,000 (thirty-nine *thousand*) hosts.  However,
> some of these are PC's connected to the lan.

Not all of HP's machines are listed in the /etc/hosts file.  We have
some that we use in manufacturing that we have not put in /etc/hosts for
one reason or another but are accessable by a few machines that do know
about them.

Gary "telnet to hpa, then to hpb, then to hpc for the data." Stringham

sartin@hplabsz.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (01/23/91)

>Not all of HP's machines are listed in the /etc/hosts file.  We have
>some that we use in manufacturing that we have not put in /etc/hosts for

Not only that, but we do use our nameservers.  Not everyone within HP
has upgraded and we still produce an internal /etc/hosts file for
machines running versions of OSes without nameserver support or not
using nameservers for other reasons.

Disclaimers:

If HP had a net.spokesperson, it wouldn't be me.

I don't have anything to do (anymore) with our nameservers or /etc/hosts.

Rob

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (01/23/91)

    >     I wasn't aware of the size magnitude of HP's internal internet,
    > until I did a:
    > 	grep '^15' /etc/hosts | sort | uniq | wc
    > (HP's IP addresses start with "15".)
    >     There are over 39,000 (thirty-nine *thousand*) hosts.  However,
    > some of these are PC's connected to the lan.

    Mmm, does this mean that all 39,000 hosts have 39,000 entries in their
    /etc/hosts files?  I thought that was what nameservers were invented
    for..;-)

That's right.  That's why we have what I believe is the broadest second-
level namespace on the ARPA Internet.

And, admittedly, some pretty large host tables.

cricket

hostmaster@hp.com / NIC CL142

pearmana@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Pearman) (01/24/91)

In article <7370286@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:

>I'm told that HP's internal internet is the largest private TCP/IP network
>in the world, and is connected to "the" Internet (as are many of our
>customers).  We only use UUCP anymore where we can't justify a CISCO box or
>X.25 connection.  With SLIP coming along, UUCP is apt to cease being used
>altogether, although we will continue to supply and support it.

What's SLIP ???????

  Andy

--

Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.195252.19378@Neon.Stanford.EDU> ramani@CS.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) writes:
>Apparently the "/26" is not needed anymore - the HP mail relay
>apparently resolves it.

Well, of course, a problem would arise if the name you used was ambiguous to
the system. Does anyone know what the gateway does if this situation occurs?
Is it possible that a server will become available so that names can be
resolved similarly to the method used when entering addresses in an HP Desk
message?

>Interestingly enough, when I received a reply from him, his return
>address was listed as:
>
>	a_j_o_brien%26@hp6650.desk.hp.com

Yes, the HP Desk system uses sublocation codes whenever possible... so it
makes sense that this would occur.

>For the sake of completeness, I was told that my address from the
>perspective of HP Desk is as follows:
>
>	ramani@patience.stanford.edu /HPUNIX/UX

Not completely true. I know that we would have had to write such an address
as:

	ramani (patience.stanford.edu) /HP1900/UX

HPUNIX is a location code for HP Internet sites. HP1900 is used for non-HP
sites. It is an interesting note, also, that any message received by someone
on HP Desk from the outside would has a part inserted at the top stating this
fact. (Isn't that a bit of a waste of bandwidth?)

--
______  Bill Taroli  --  Syracuse University  |  "The only thing necessary for
\    /                                        |   the triumph of evil is for

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (01/26/91)

Since all the replies to this simple query got off into the size of
HP-s /etc/hosts file, here is another reply from a user:
HP-UX provides three e-mail programs:
mail
mailx
elm
These, together with sendmail (provided you have TCP/IP access)
will connect you to other users on the machine, the local net, or the
outside world (it takes some configuring you sendmail.cf).
Ideally you would have a nameserver  to query for IP addresses, and
perhaps another machine which connects to the internet (I use one of
the campus machines, except for a few selected sites, to which SMTP
connects directly, an uunet.uu.net for ! addresses).
In addition to the three mailers provided by HP I find MH-mail
(available via ftp from another machine on this campus) much more
convenient, particularly since it interfaces with gnuemacs and/or
xmh.
Hope this sheds a different light on the question.

Hardy Mayer
Professor Meinhard E. Mayer
Department of Physics
University of California