[comp.sys.hp] DAT drive on HP9000/800 ??

bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) (01/25/91)

I been given an HP9000/800 to take care of with a tape drive that appears
to be a DAT drive, but I'm not sure. The label on the drive says "Digital
Data Storage".

If is anyone is familiar with this drive, I would appreciate a confirmation
on my DAT speculation and any other information you can provide on:

  -- capacity
  -- tape size (useful in dump)
  -- best type of tapes to use (brand/length)
  -- any restrictions you know of using this as a standard mt device

--
Bruce Reed
Objectivity Inc.              bruce@objy.com 	| Duck em' if they can't

bijal@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Bijal Shah) (01/25/91)

/ hpopd:comp.sys.hp / bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) /  5:55 pm  Jan 24, 1991 /
>I been given an HP9000/800 to take care of with a tape drive that appears
>to be a DAT drive, but I'm not sure. The label on the drive says "Digital
>Data Storage".
>
>If is anyone is familiar with this drive, I would appreciate a confirmation
>on my DAT speculation and any other information you can provide on:

	Yes, that is a DAT tape drive.  Digital Data Storage is a method
	of putting the data on the tape developed by HP and Sony (I think).
	I have one of these beasts sitting on my S370.

>  -- capacity

	About 1.3Gbytes.  It will dump that amount in roughly 4 hours.

>  -- tape size (useful in dump)

	60 metres, though why you would need this knowledge is beyond me.

>  -- best type of tapes to use (brand/length)

	Use HP tapes, of course! (8-)  As far as I know, there is no other
	length of tape available.  Me thinks that you have been around reel
	tapes for too long ;-)  I think that Sony may do DDS formatted tapes
	too.  Generally, DDS tapes (not DAT!) will last for up to 5000 uses.
	You should get a cleaning tape too, that has too be used once for
	every 25 uses of the DDS drive.  It lasts for 25 uses, too.
	Part numbers are:

		HP92283A - 5 DDS tapes.
		HP92283K - 1 cleaning tape

>  -- any restrictions you know of using this as a standard mt device

	Not as far as I know.  I do know that you shouldn't use the
	fbackup/frecover commands, as these are not yet properly supported
	by HP-UX.  tar,cpio work fine.  You should have documentation covering
	all this anyway.  It comes with the drive when you by it.  Contact HP.
	They will put you in touch with someone, if they cannot get you the
	documentation.

>--
>Bruce Reed
>Objectivity Inc.              bruce@objy.com 	| Duck em' if they can't
>Menlo Park, CA                sun!objy!bruce	| take a joke!
>----------

Bijal Shah
HP SESD
Pinewood, England

stevej@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Steve Jerman) (01/25/91)

Hi Bruce,

   Yup you've got one! The 'DDS' badge stands for Digital Data Storage
   which is the format used on the tape.

   OK heres the info you wanted:

Tape Capacity.
     1.3GBytes. The drive uses a 60M tape (the same as a 2 hour audio tape).

Best tape to use.
     HP (well I'd have to say that wouldn't I), but really we spent an
     awful lot of time and trouble qualifying different tapes brands
     and if you really are interested in data integrity and relying on
     getting the data back off the tape, a few extra dollars should be
     worth it. Note that the HP prices are still about a quarter the
     price of a quarter inch cartridge tape.

     However, if not, bare in mind that we only support the HP tape and
     you may find it difficult to get help if you can't get your vital
     database off A.N. Others cruddy but *really* cheap tape. If you
     want to use Audio tape in the drive make sure it's a good brand,
     like Maxell or TDK or Sony or someone.

Use.
  If you have a 822, 832, 842 or 852 with built in DAT drive then
  cpio, dd, tar etc work no problem, O/S software is also distributed
  on DAT tape. Only thing to note is that within reason the bigger the
  block size the better. For instance, use the B option with cpio or a
  blocking factor of 20 (ie 10K blocks) with tar.

If you need more info on the product or DAT in general, please feel
free to send me your surface address and I will get someone to
send you a datasheet or other info.

Steve Jerman
Hewlett Packard
Computer Peripherals Bristol

Address:	     Email:
  Filton Road		stevej@hpcpbla.bri.hp.com
  Stoke Gifford
  Bristol
  BS12 6QZ
  UK

Phone:                   Fax:
(44) 272 799910 x22424   (44) 272 236091

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

kevinf@agora.rain.com (Kevin Fowler) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.175544.23068@objy.com> bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) writes:
>I been given an HP9000/800 to take care of with a tape drive that appears
>to be a DAT drive, but I'm not sure. The label on the drive says "Digital
>Data Storage".

If it is the same unit as installed in our HP300/922SL, it _is_ a  DAT drive.

>If is anyone is familiar with this drive, I would appreciate a confirmation
>on my DAT speculation and any other information you can provide on:
>
>  -- capacity

again, if we're talking about the same device, you can expect to put
~1.2Gbytes on it (~5Gbytes compressed).

?

>  -- best type of tapes to use (brand/length)
>  -- any restrictions you know of using this as a standard mt device

I realy couldn't say...

| Kevin Fowler / kevinf@agora.rain.com                                        |
| P. O. Box 69393                            This Space For Rent              |
| Portland OR 97201-0393                                                      |

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (01/29/91)

>  -- best type of tapes to use (brand/length)

Bijal> 	Use HP tapes, of course! (8-)  As far as I know, there is no other
Bijal> 	length of tape available.  Me thinks that you have been around reel
Bijal> 	tapes for too long ;-)  I think that Sony may do DDS formatted tapes
Bijal> 	too.  Generally, DDS tapes (not DAT!) will last for up to 5000 uses.
Bijal> 	You should get a cleaning tape too, that has too be used once for
Bijal> 	every 25 uses of the DDS drive.  It lasts for 25 uses, too.

I've been using Sony and JVC(?) tapes for my private purposes.  No
problems so far.  Company backups are written on HP tapes, even though
they do cost more...
--
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM@FINFILES

yamamoto@rasc3.kurasc.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Mamoru Yamamoto) (01/30/91)

In article <KIMMO.SUOMINEN.91Jan29012916@kannel.lut.fi> Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) writes:
>>  -- best type of tapes to use (brand/length)
>I've been using Sony and JVC(?) tapes for my private purposes.  No
>problems so far.  Company backups are written on HP tapes, even though
>they do cost more...

We were delivered a HP9000/400s (HP-UX) with DAT last week.
Our sales rep did not ask us to use HP tapes.

I have two questions.
1. What is the best block length of DAT.
2. How long do I need to wait until our 400s is updated to be 433s?

Thank you.

Mamoru Yamamoto (yamamoto@kurasc.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Radio Atmospheric Science Center, Kyoto University
Uji Kyoto 611, JAPAN