[comp.sys.hp] ANSI C compiler with prototyping and profiling

mds3399@isc.rit.edu (M.D. Stokes ) (01/28/91)

I am working on an HP9k375 TSRX with HPUX 7.0 running hp's X11 (R3).  I
need a C compiler which is ANSI compatible with profiling.  I tried hp's
and found '-Aa' is not supported for series 300 machines.  So I ftp'd
gcc from me10.lbl.gov.  Unfortunately, this location doesn't support
profiling.

I am writing a color manipulation library for 24 bit images
to transform images in different color spaces (XYZ, CIELAB, etc) and
perform various manipulations in a colorimetrically calibrated environment.
I need very portable code since the library must run on Sun 3's, Dec
5200's and 3100's, and my HP.

I haven't been able to compile gcc successfully myself with the
profiling.  I would appreciate any help (and be extremely appreciative
of binaries).

Thanx,

Mike Stokes mds@judd.rit.edu
Munsell Color Science Laboratory @ Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, NY 14623  (716)-475-7189

mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) (02/01/91)

> I tried hp's and found '-Aa' is not supported for series 300 machines.

While this may not help you, the HP 7.40 compilers include ANSI C and fully
support ANSI C in tools such as:
   - profiling: prof,gprof
   - debugging: xdb,cdb
   - tools: lint, cxref, cflow
The 7.40 product can be ordered as an update to your 7.0 system.

--mev

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (02/01/91)

mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) writes:
 > > I tried hp's and found '-Aa' is not supported for series 300 machines.
 > While this may not help you, the HP 7.40 compilers include ANSI C and fully
 > support ANSI C [...]
 > The 7.40 product can be ordered as an update to your 7.0 system.

Is 7.40 available for 9000/300, 9000/400 and 9000/800 systems?  What exactly
should we order?  What is the price?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

robs@hpuamsa.neth.hp.com (Rob Slotemaker CRC) (02/01/91)

HP provides an ANSI C compiler for the Series 300. This compiler has version
number 7.40 and can be bought separately. However, I don't know if this
compiler support profiling too. You should contact your local sales office to
get the proper information.

Best regards,

Rob Slotemaker, Dutch CRC

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (02/02/91)

> Is 7.40 available for 9000/300, 9000/400 and 9000/800 systems?  What exactly
> should we order?  What is the price?

Product number is B1690A for the 7.40 ANSI C product.  It is 300/400 only.
The 800 compiler supports -Aa at 7.0, so no separate product is required.
The 7.40 compilers are tuned for the 68040, and have many bug fixes as well,
as described in my response to Brian Bartholomew's concerns.

As for price, I'm not sure, there were various configurations depending on all
sorts of factors.  It's on the price list, though.  Note there are also 7.40
Fortran and Pascal compilers, and there are special prices for bundles of all
three languages.  Fortran shares the 68040 tuning and other optimizations with
C.

Marc Sabatella (marc@hpmonk.fc.hp.com)
Disclaimers:
	2 + 2 = 3, for suitably small values of 2
	Bill and Dave may not always agree with me