[comp.sys.hp] 8xx recovery from a disk crash

hm@hcshh.UUCP (Hellmuth Michaelis) (01/25/91)

hi,

having switched from a 300 to a 800 HP-UX system some time ago, i'm
missing the 'mkrs' (make recovery system) command which was of great
help in the past.

so, how is the same task (making a minimal operating system from which
one can bootstrap the system with the fbackup-tapes) done on the 8xx'es ?

i've looked through every manual, but haven't found anything on that
subject. any pointers ?

thanks a lot!
hellmuth
Hellmuth Michaelis   HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH    Hamburg, Europe
uucp: hm@hcshh.UUCP (..!mcsun!unido!hcshh!hm)            phone: +49 40 5501075

lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (01/26/91)

In article <375@hcshh.UUCP> hm@hcshh.UUCP (Hellmuth Michaelis) writes:
>...so, how is the same task (making a minimal operating system from which
>one can bootstrap the system with the fbackup-tapes) done on the 8xx'es ?
>
>i've looked through every manual, but haven't found anything on that
>subject. any pointers ?

the easiest way is to by a recovery tape from HP. that what we did when we
got the 822S.  i may/will make others in the future, but that one should allow
us to at least boot from the tape.

the other approach (IF you have a couple of spare sections is to build
a second bootable disk  I used LIFcp and make a bootable section6 on my old
7937.  after ripping out /usr (and the usEr areas) I made a second root on the
the 7937.

the boot ROM by default loads and boots to the 2200, if it crashes,
i can boot to the 7937. This was tested by undoing the cabling to the
2200 and booting to the 7937.

--
Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute
          email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca              Clinical Trials Resources Group

bobk@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Bob Kentwortz) (02/02/91)

There are no utilities available on the 800 for making the equivalent tape
that you can make with mkrs on the 300.

I don't quite know which recovery tapes the previous replier refers too, but
we do sell install tapes for each release of the OS as it comes out.  This
is bootable, but I don't think it addresses your need.  I assume you wish
to repair a bad kernel without re-installing your entire system.  However,
you are always free to re-install from scratch, then recover from your
backups.

There is another alternative.  The HP field support team has a bootable
support tape.  It's intended use is for repairing systems.  This is available
with HP support.  The tape is not a product.  For information on this, please
contact the HP sales office nearest you.

If you have more questions along these lines, I'd be happy to see if I can
answer them.

Bob Kentwortz
bobk@hpda.hp.com