[comp.sys.hp] X11 vs. 98710 display

rjc@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Robert Collins) (02/03/91)

I am having trouble getting X to display on my 98710 display.  I have
no trouble with X and the 98700 or 98720 displays.  Starbase has no
trouble with the 98710 display.  I am running HPUX 7.0 on a 9000/350.

Here is what xdm has to say:

Sorry--Cannot get information about your display.
Error in line 76 of your /usr/lib/X11/X0screens file.
Device is not a recognized device type.
No driver is present in the server.
Possible cause may be attempting to use an unsupported display.
Cannot continue--sorry...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
rob collins
rjc@cs.ucla.edu
rjc@cs.ucla.edu	                    CM++ on the CM2:  The only way to fly.

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (02/04/91)

re: > I am having trouble getting X to display on my 98710 display.  I have
    > no trouble with X and the 98700 or 98720 displays.  Starbase has no
    > trouble with the 98710 display.  I am running HPUX 7.0 on a 9000/350.

Some confusion here; the 98710A is an accelerator that bolts onto the
98700A/H "CX" display controller, which itself is interfaced to the host 300
via a 98287A card.

The 98700A/H display subsystem, with or without 98710A accelerator, is not
supported by X-windows.  There are no X drivers for it, beyond an unreleased
prototype X10 version, which is probably long gone.  Moreover, if it were
supported, you would not be happy with the performance.  The architecture of
the 98700 was optimized for vector operations, and reportedly provided very
slow raster operations when tested with X10.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

harry@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Harry Phinney) (02/05/91)

Robert Collins writes:
> I am having trouble getting X to display on my 98710 display.

> Sorry--Cannot get information about your display.
> Error in line 76 of your /usr/lib/X11/X0screens file.
> Device is not a recognized device type.
> No driver is present in the server.
> Possible cause may be attempting to use an unsupported display.
> Cannot continue--sorry...

While I'll admit the message is a bit verbose, it does tell the story.
The X server does not contain a driver for the 98710 (or 98700) display
systems.  These displays are not supported by the X server.

Harry Phinney   harry@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com