  From: Jim Healy <healy@lucid.com>
  To: michel@es.ele.tue.nl (Michel Berkelaar)
  Subject: Re: Lisp on a 400 in 10.3
  Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 11:54:00 PST

     - What is the basic problem: the new operating system (10.3) or the
       architecture of the 400?

  The 400 architecture.  Domain/Common Lisp works fine on DN3xxx's
  running SR10.3.

     - Can I solve the problem, or do I need a new version of Lisp? If
       so, when will it be available (Last time, when updating from
       9.7 to 10.2, Apollo made us wait 6 months before they shipped a
       version of Lisp compliant with 10.2)

  You need a new version of Lisp.  Although I don't know what dates
  have been set for release, we're working on a version that will run
  on the 400 series.

  Jim Healy
  Lucid, Inc.

Mail from Lucid 2:

  Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 17:26:24 PST
  From: Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@lucid.com>
  To: michel@es.ele.tue.nl (Michel Berkelaar)
  Subject: Lisp on a 400 in 10.3

  Domain/CommonLISP does not yet run on the new Apollos.  Contact your Apollo
  representative and pester them to get you a date for a Lisp that supports this
  machine.

  		Leonard

Mail from Apollo field support:

  From: sailor_j@apollo.com
  Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 09:07:28 EST
  Subject: re: Lisp on the Series 400
  To: michel@es.ele.tue.nl
  Cc: werner@hpbbse.hp.com, vanbaal_h@apollo.com, sailor_j@apollo.com,
          shari@apollo.com

  Hello Michel;

    I am the field support manager for the Apollo Division.
  A colleague referred your message on the net to me.

    Domain/Lisp is not supported on the Series 400 hardware.
  There are significant machine dependent functions in
  Domain/Lisp, and a version has not been made for the
  Series 400 hardware.

    We apologize for any time you may have wasted trying
  to run the product on the 400.  The release notes for
  Lisp are correct in that they do not have the 400 on
  the list of supported hardware; however, it is not
  explicitly stated that Lisp does not run on the 400.

    Your local AE or response center should also have
  this information, or can go through their support
  channels to get it.  I encourage you to use your
  local support people, my role is to help them
  to serve you better.

  Best Regards,

  John Sailor.

  John K. Sailor                      |       |~~~    |   270 Billerica Road
  Mgr, Field Support                  |      /|\      |   Chelmsford, MA 01824
  Apollo Systems/Div. of HP (ASY)     |     /_|_\     |   (508) 256-6600 x7589, telnet 256-7589
  Net: sailor_j@apollo.hp.com         |    \_____/    |   UUCP: {decwrl!devax,mit_eddie}!apollo!sailor_j

BTW, look at the note regarding the Lisp release notes: of course the 400 is
not mentioned in them: At the time they were written there was no series 400
machine. Also note that no promise is made that Lisp will be ported at all.

Perhaps all Lisp users should do what Leonard Zubkoff suggests!!

Michel Berkelaar

Michel Berkelaar                   | Email: michel@ele.tue.nl
Eindhoven University of Technology |
Dept. of Electrical Engineering    |
Design Automation Section          |
P.O. Box 513                       | Phone: ... - 31 - 40 - 473345
NL-5600 MB Eindhoven               | Fax:   ... - 31 - 40 - 448375
The Netherlands                    |