[comp.sys.hp] hpterm vs. xterm

Steinar.Haug@elab-runit.sintef.no (Steinar Haug) (02/01/91)

We are just starting up with HP-9000/400 machines here, and we already have
a considerable base of Suns. The HPs we have received with internal disks
all come preloaded with HP-UX 7.03 and VUE. VUE by default uses "hpterm" as
the terminal emulator. I know that this default can be changed, but it
would be nice to use the vendor supported terminal emulator. The problems
I see with hpterm are:

	- The cursor keys by default don't send any escape sequences (they
	only work locally). However, I know this can be turned on.

	- The cursor keys (when turned on) send the "wrong" escape
	sequences (escape-A, escape-B, escape-C, escape-D). This is wrong
	because all these sequences are already used by the default emacs
	mapping which our users know and love.

I'm sure we'll see other problems as time goes by, but these are the most
pressing at the moment. Now the first point I assume can be solved by
suitably modifying the hpterm initialization in the terminfo file. Can
the second problem also be solved? If I could get hpterm to send the same
escape sequences as xterm (escape-O-A, -B, -C, -D) this would be fine. As
it is, hpterm is unfortunately rather useless to us, even if it looks nice,
is 8-bit clean etc. Should we simply switch to xterm as the default? I'm
very interested to hear what experiences other heterogeneous sites have.

Steinar Haug, system/networks administrator
ELAB-RUNIT, University of Trondheim, NORWAY
Email: Steinar.Haug@elab-runit.sintef.no,
	sthaug@idt.unit.no, steinar@tosca.er.sintef.no

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (02/02/91)

// Steinar.Haug@elab-runit.sintef.no (Steinar Haug) // asks:
| Should we simply switch to xterm as the default?

One thing to consider, if you plan to use xdb or cdb, is that the full-screen
mode of the symbolic debugger requires hpterm rather than xterm.  However,
this doesn't mean you have to use hpterm for everything.  You can define
a couple of scripts, say "wxdb":
	eval `/usr/bin/X11/resize`
	/usr/bin/xdb -i $T -o $T -e $T $@
and "Xxdb":
	export T=`tty`
	/usr/bin/X11/hpterm -name Xxdb -e wxdb $@
which will allow you to invoke the debugger by saying:
	Xxdb <other_xdb_options> objfile
This has two advantages:  it runs xdb in an hpterm window even if you
otherwise use xterm windows, and it gives xdb it's own window while
leaving communication with the process being debugged in the original
(xterm) window.
						Regards, Steve taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

bb@vixen.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (02/05/91)

In article <7370301@hpfcso.HP.COM> steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve
Taylor) writes:

> One thing to consider, if you plan to use xdb or cdb, is that the
> full-screen mode of the symbolic debugger requires hpterm rather than
> xterm.

In accordance with my last posting, I consider this a signifigant
enough flaw to justify ditching xdb in favor of gdb/gcc.  I still
occassionally do program development from home.  Was there any really
*good* reason to limit this program to hpterm, instead of using
termcap or terminfo?

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!mathlab.math.ufl.edu!bb

bcripe@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Brian E. Cripe) (02/09/91)

> 5) hp also supports the regular xterm, but some things that have been
>    developed for hp computers _require_ the use of hp terminals in
>    order to work...  that, and pride, are probably only the reasons
>    why hpterm is the default...

There is one other reason why hpterm is the default for HP VUE.
Hpterm has some additional capabilities that allow VUE to prestart
hpterm processes and then "pop them up" whenever the user needs
a terminal window.  These capabilities also allow VUE to cache
terminal processes when the user kills them (or thinks he is killing
them) and pop them back up again when the user needs another one.

	Brian Cripe