[comp.sys.hp] HP 3000?

jset_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff Setzer) (02/10/91)

Hello.  I am looking for information about the HP3000 computer.  I know
very little about it, but my old high school has one and they don't know
what to do with it.

I am interested in any and all info on this computer, including

- operating system (can it run Unix?)
- applications programs availability
- networking capabilities

in addition to hardware specs.  I realize this may be a very simple set
of questions, but I am just trying to help out my old school.  Thanks.

--
ASTROSETZ            | Internet: jset_cif@cc.rochester.edu (U of Rochester, NY)
"The Heavens Declare | ...but it's hard to tell with those  |   CONTEXT IS

notes@hpfcsoFC.HP.COM (Notes Batch User) (02/12/91)

This note's header was garbled as it was being introduced.  This is my first
attempt at re-posting a garbled note, so if it doesn't come out quite right,
bear with me.

notes@hpfcso

Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
Subject: HP 3000?
Date: 9 Feb 91 23:54:17 GMT
Sender: news@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

Hello.  I am looking for information about the HP3000 computer.  I know
very little about it, but my old high school has one and they don't know
what to do with it.

I am interested in any and all info on this computer, including

- operating system (can it run Unix?)
- applications programs availability
- networking capabilities

in addition to hardware specs.  I realize this may be a very simple set
of questions, but I am just trying to help out my old school.  Thanks.

--
ASTROSETZ            | Internet: jset_cif@cc.rochester.edu (U of Rochester, NY)
"The Heavens Declare | ...but it's hard to tell with those  |   CONTEXT IS
The Glory Of God..." | seven waves of spherical aberration! |   EVERYTHING

spero@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Spero Kouloures) (02/14/91)

The HP 3000 family of computers dates back to 1972.  Included
in the current family are a wide range of machines,  most using
HP's PA-RISC architecture.

The PA-RISC machines all have model #'s like HP 3000 Series 9xx.
These machines run HP's MPE/XL operating system.  Both LAN and
WAN products are supported,  and a large body of comercial
software exists.  A local HP sales office should have a thick
book which lists applications software.

HP's older family of 3000's (Series 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x) run
the MPE/V operating system.  They are (for the most part)
compatible, and support the same features as, the PA-RISC
models.

A full range of compilers,  database products,  electronic mail and
pc integration products are also available from HP.

Good Luck,

  Spero Koulouras

DISCLAIMER:  Any statements made above are my own and are not
	     in any way known to or authorized by Hewlett-Packard.