[comp.sys.hp] xterm VT100 emulator inadequate

ba7@mars.ornl.gov (M. Lee Bailey III) (01/31/91)

We have several networks of HP 9000 series 300 machines that are running mwm.
we are trying to put together a terminal window to emulate a VT100 or similar
terminal in order to access DEC Vaxes and others over a serial port.  The
problem I have been having is in the emulation that xterm provides.  DEC uses
different key sequences such as swappingng back-space and delete and as a
result, we are having trouble getting a full emulation of the DEC terminal.

We tried using xmodmap to swap key definitions, ie make the backspace key
perform the delete function, but this affect ALL X clients which is
unacceptable.

Is there a fix for xterm or some other emulator available that will give us the
functionality we desire.  We willl be accessing many different types of systems
and therefore need the terminal end to provide the compatibility.

Any suggestions or pointers to sources would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

M. Lee Bailey III  -->   baileymliii@ornl.gov | The other day I . . .
Computer Applications Engr                    |
Martin Marietta Energy Systems, Inc.          | . . . no, That wasn't me!
Oak Ridge, Tennessee                          |

joe@bwdlh111.BNR.CA (Joe Waddington) (01/31/91)

I had the same problem rloging into a Sun, but the problem was that mwm
would put up a menu when I hit <Shift><Del>.  The fix I found was to
change the .mwmrc file so that <Shift><Del> was NOT mapped to f.menu.
(yes I know that this may change the definition of the Motif look and
feel, so flame away ;-)

Hope this helps

Joe

Please remember that these opinions are mine, and mine alone.
      ( a fact I'm not always eager to admit.  ;-) )
Joe Waddington       joe@bnr.ca        Bell Northern Research

jco@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Dumpmaster John) (01/31/91)

Can't you just issue the VMS equivlent of stty erase \^h?  I'm always being
told that you can do anythng in VMS that you can do under UN*X.  (Note: I'm
not a VMS hack, we have some VMS on campus but I've not used them in years)

later
jco

--
"BSD the strongest Operating System avaible today without a prescription."
In Real Life:

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/15/91)

In article <JCO.91Jan31094225@reef.cis.ufl.edu> jco@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Dumpmaster John) writes:

>Can't you just issue the VMS equivlent of stty erase \^h?  I'm always being
>told that you can do anythng in VMS that you can do under UN*X.  (Note: I'm
>not a VMS hack, we have some VMS on campus but I've not used them in years)

Ain't no such beast. There is no equivalent to stty erase on VMS. The
solution I chose was to map the backspace key to delete, and then use
stty erase '^?' for all xterm windows. The only x client I have found
which has a problem with this is ME10 from HP.

-jem

--
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

"I don't sing, I don't dance, and I don't like people who do."  -Leterman