[comp.sys.hp] HP 9871A Printer - Daisy Wheel *** INFO NEEDED ****

an305@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mack Goodman) (02/14/91)

Could someone help me out with this printer?  I just got it in a trade
and have no manual or anything.
What is it???
Parallel or serial?
Could someone tell me a little about it, please...

Thank you much in advance.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+  Mack Goodman                      +

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (02/16/91)

Subject: HP 9871A Printer - Daisy Wheel  *** INFO NEEDED ****

> Could someone help me out with this printer?  I just got it in a trade and
> have no manual or anything.  What is it???  Parallel or serial?  Could
> someone tell me a little about it, please...

It is a 30 cps printer.  It was HP's first daisywheel printer and is long
obsolete.  The standard printer had a proprietary 9-bit parallel interface.
The Option 001 version hs HP-IB (IEEE-488 1978).

One claim to fame is that the 9871 has a bi-directional platten.  It can
randomly access any position on the page.  As I recall, tho, this is only
via pinch-roller, and can't be done when using the tractor feed.  This
reduces repeatability.

Several manuals are still on the HP parts price list.  I don't have any
more info than this...

  09871-90000 Operating manual    $8.00
  09871-90001 Option 001          $5.00
  09871-90010 <no description>   $10.00
  09871-90030 Operating/service   $5.00
  09871-90031 Svc supplement      $7.00
  09871-90035 Installation        $9.00

I'm a little surprised to see these on the PPL. I would have guessed that
the 9871 was old enough to be off support life.  Parts and service may not
be available.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599