[comp.sys.hp] FFT coprocessor

morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (02/18/91)

Would anyone know where I could find an FFT coprocessor board (Fast Fourier
Transform) (HP or third party) for an HP9000 series 300 ?  Thanks !

					- John

fmonaldo@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Monaldo Francis M. S1R x8648) (02/18/91)

For an FFT processor for the HP9000 s 300 try:

	Ariel Corporation
	433 River Road
	Hughland Park, NJ 08904

	Tele: 201-249-2900
	FAX 201-249-2123
	Telex: 499 7279 ARIEL

I think the board runs under the HP BASIC and PASCAL operating system, but
may also run under HP-UX. Check. Its been some time since I used their board.
When I used it under HP BASIC ~5 years ago it computed a 1D complex 1024-pt
FFT (16 bit integer) in about 10 milliseconds.  Good luck.

		fmonaldo@aplcomm,jhuapl.edu
		Frank Monaldo

stanb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Stan Bischof) (02/20/91)

In comp.sys.hp, morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu writes:

>Would anyone know where I could find an FFT coprocessor board (Fast Fourier
>Transform) (HP or third party) for an HP9000 series 300 ?  Thanks !

>					- John

from latest Workstation:

try   Ariel Corporation
      433 River Road
      Highland Park NJ 08904

 tel  908-249-2900
 fax 908-249-2123

NOTE: I know absolutely nothing about this company or its product other
than the add in Workstation. Add claims: uses Moto DSP56001 chip
                                         10.25 MIPS std, faster available
                                         1024 pt FFT in 3.39 msec
                                         144 dB dynamic range

Why not post whatever you find out?

Hope this helps

Stan Bischof
HP-NMD

*******************
NOTE: this info is offered purely as a favor and in know way implies
any backing or support or recommendation from HP.
*******************

fitzhugh@hplred.HP.COM (Andrew Fitzhugh) (02/21/91)

In comp.sys.hp, morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu writes:
>Would anyone know where I could find an FFT coprocessor board (Fast Fourier
>Transform) (HP or third party) for an HP9000 series 300 ?  Thanks !
>					- John

CSPI makes a VME based card (uses the Intel i860) that's rated at
something like 50 MFLOPS.  I have an old version that I think is rated
at about 1.0 msec for a 1024 pt. complex FFT (someone swiped all my spec
sheets, but I think that's right).

The catch is that you need a VME bus expander in addition to the card.
Current pricing for the card is ~6K, I don't know how much our VME expander
costs in real money, but HP sells it.

There are some nice subroutine libraries available, too, though the more
extravagant stuff will cost you.  I was very pleased with the old card, and
their new one should be an improvement.

Try writing (or call information):
CSP Inc.
40 Linnell Circle
Billerica, MA   01821

Andrew Fitzhugh
HP Laboratories, Printing Technology Department

These statements do not represent any sort of official HP policy, just my
own personal experience with the product.