[comp.sys.hp] Strange MPE/V file

mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) (02/22/91)

LISTF ,2 reveals the following information:

FILENAME  CODE  ------------LOGICAL RECORD-----------  ----SPACE----
                  SIZE  TYP        EOF      LIMIT R/B  SECTORS #X MX

LOG5531           512B  VAO       1449       1023   1      384  1  8
                                  ^^^^       ^^^^

What's going on here? Unfortunately I had to delete that file to
make the application work again (it complained about not being
able to append to that file).

--
    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)

glowell@portia.Stanford.EDU (gary lowell) (02/26/91)

In article <MATTES.91Feb22114618@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) writes:
>LISTF ,2 reveals the following information:
>
>FILENAME  CODE  ------------LOGICAL RECORD-----------  ----SPACE----
>                  SIZE  TYP        EOF      LIMIT R/B  SECTORS #X MX
>
>LOG5531           512B  VAO       1449       1023   1      384  1  8
>                                  ^^^^       ^^^^
>
>What's going on here? Unfortunately I had to delete that file to

The 'V' under the TYP heading above indicates that the record
length for this file is variable as opposed to fixed.  Records can be
added to the file until the allocated space is exhausted.

The 'O' part of that field indicates that it is a circular file, meaning
that the once the file is full the newest records added will overwrite the
the oldest record.

This is a common format for logfiles where you might be interested in
seeing only the last N transactions.

Gary Lowell
glowell@allegro.com