[comp.sys.hp] fortran compilers for HPUX

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (02/26/91)

I am looking in to porting some fortran code i have on a sun to an
hp9000 style machine.  I don't have the hp machine yet so i'd like to
find out some things about fortran for the HP in advance because I
might just convert the software to C if it looks like it would be too
much of a hassle to convert sun fortran to HP fortran.

Here are my questions:

	does it some degree of vax/vms-ish support like sun's ?
	    does it have structures ?
	    does it have pointers ?

	Can can you call C functions from fortran and vice-versa ?
	Can can you call fortran functions from C functions ?
	If it exists. Is it is reasonably painless to C <--> Fortran mixing ?

Of course any other information you may find useful i'd be more than happy
to hear about.

I will summarize here if I get some "i'd like to know about what you hear"

cunniff@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) (02/26/91)

> Here are my questions:
>	does it some degree of vax/vms-ish support like sun's ?

Yes.  It supports all MIL-STD features (bit intrinsics, DO WHILE
construct, INTRINSIC NONE, etc), IJ numeric constants, the REAL*16 data
type, STRUCTUREs, entry points of a different type than the enclosing
function, unstructured GOTOs (i.e.  GOTOs into a DO loop), NAMELIST, the
BYTE datatype, etc.  This is all off the top of my head, so I'm sure
I've missed several things.

>	    does it have structures ?

Yes.

>	    does it have pointers ?

No.  Of course, this is not a VMS extension, but a CRAY extension.

>	Can can you call C functions from fortran and vice-versa ?

Yes.

>	Can can you call fortran functions from C functions ?

Yes.

>	If it exists. Is it is reasonably painless to C <--> Fortran mixing ?

Yes.  Easier, in fact, than on a Sun, since you don't have to
add the silly appended underscore.  Of course, if you REALLY
enjoy adding the silly appended underscore, there is an option
to make that work.

> Of course any other information you may find useful i'd be more than happy
> to hear about.

If possible, make sure you get the latest release (7.40 for the S300,
7.0 for the S800).  Contact your local sales rep.

				Ross Cunniff
				Hewlett-Packard Colorado Langauge Lab
				cunniff@hpfcla.HP.COM

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (03/02/91)

In article <7370320@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> cunniff@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) writes:

...   add the silly appended underscore.  Of course, if you REALLY
   enjoy adding the silly appended underscore, there is an option
   to make that work.

actually, on a Sun you can coax f77 into not putting the underscore in
(v1.3+).
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043