[comp.sys.hp] HP320 Hardware questions

hurf@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (02/28/91)

		I have some HP320's with 98568Y CPU boxes and
	98568A expanders. My questions are:

	1; Is there a SCSI interface that will fit these?

	2; Will the 68030 upgrade (98243C) fit ?

BTW - I have 10+ of these, with enet, highspeed hpib,  monochrome
	terminals and 98720 4 plane color boxes. (No color terminals
	tho) All are on current HP maintenence. Would sell some or
	entertain offers on parts.
	There are a few 9144 tapes with these as well. All come
	with HP deskside cabinets.

Thanks,
hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@theory.tn.cornell.edu
     Program of Computer Graphics	 Phone:   607 255 6713

     580 Eng. Theory Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (03/01/91)

re: > I have some HP320's with 98568Y CPU boxes and
    > 98568A expanders. My questions are:

>	1; Is there a SCSI interface that will fit these?

Yes and no.  The 98658A SCSI card will fit in a DIO-I/O slot, and will
function, but no boot ROMs available for the Model 320 contain SCSI boot
code, nor the SCSI diagnostic code required for official support of SCSI on
the 320.

>	2; Will the 68030 upgrade (98243C) fit ?

Yes, but there are no return credits for the 320 processor board and
human interface card.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

cliff@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Cliff Weisgerber) (03/02/91)

/ hpdmd48:comp.sys.hp / rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) /  9:10 am  Feb 28, 1991 /

> >	1; Is there a SCSI interface that will fit these?
>
> Yes and no.  The 98658A SCSI card will fit in a DIO-I/O slot, and will
> function, but no boot ROMs available for the Model 320 contain SCSI boot
> code, nor the SCSI diagnostic code required for official support of SCSI on
> the 320.

If I am not mistaken, this interface did not pass FCC requirements as a disk
interface, so it is not supported as such. This doesn't affect functionality
though. You could boot from hpib and mount scsi I believe.

> Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
> Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
>                 UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599
> ----------

Regards,

Cliff

Cliff Weisgerber                  | cliff@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com        >Internet
Hewlett-Packard                   | hplabs!hpbsla!cliff             >UUCP
Boise Site Information Technology | cliff weisgerber /hp4600/ux     >HPDesk
Distributed Technical Computing   | (208)323-2577                   >Voice

bailey@hp5.mcs.kent.edu (Jeff Bailey) (03/02/91)

In article <15520030@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com>, cliff@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Cliff Weisgerber) writes:
|> / hpdmd48:comp.sys.hp / rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) /  9:10 am  Feb 28, 1991 /

|> > Yes and no.  The 98658A SCSI card will fit in a DIO-I/O slot, and will
|> > function, but no boot ROMs available for the Model 320 contain SCSI boot
|> > code, nor the SCSI diagnostic code required for official support of SCSI on
|> > the 320.
|> >

|> If I am not mistaken, this interface did not pass FCC requirements as a disk
|> interface, so it is not supported as such. This doesn't affect functionality
|> though. You could boot from hpib and mount scsi I believe.

Huh?  This card works perfectly as a disk interface on a 340. It boots
and works just fine. There is *no* need to boot from HPIB first. If it
doesn't work on a 320 it's because of the boot rom, not the board itself.
It obviously *is* supported on the 340, so I doubt it's an FCC problem.

|> > Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
|> > Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
|> >                 UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599
|> > ----------
|>
|> Regards,
|>
|> Cliff
|>
|> Cliff Weisgerber                  | cliff@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com        >Internet
|> Hewlett-Packard                   | hplabs!hpbsla!cliff             >UUCP
|> Boise Site Information Technology | cliff weisgerber /hp4600/ux     >HPDesk
|> Distributed Technical Computing   | (208)323-2577                   >Voice

| Jeff Bailey (Sys. Admin.) <bailey@mcs.kent.edu>     | The first academic |
| Department of Mathematics & | Home: (216) 654-2649  | institution with a |
|    Computer Science         | Dept: (216) 672-2079  |    "WaveTracer     |
| Kent State University       | Fax:  (216) 672-7824  |   Data Transport   |
| Kent - OH 44242  U.S.A.     | Work: (216) 633-9691  |      Computer"     |

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (03/03/91)

re: >> Yes and no.  The 98658A SCSI card will fit in a DIO-I/O slot, and will
    >> function, but no boot ROMs available for the Model 320 contain SCSI boot
    >> code, nor the SCSI diagnostic code required for official support of SCSI
    >> on the 320.

> If I am not mistaken, this interface did not pass FCC requirements as a disk
> interface, so it is not supported as such. This doesn't affect functionality
> though. You could boot from hpib and mount scsi I believe.

Not true.  The RFI test for the Series 300 was performed (by me) in a Model
310, which is legally identical to a 320 for FCC purposes.  The real barrier
to support is the lack of diagnostic code code on 310/320.