[comp.sys.hp] need info about X and graphics packages available under HPUX

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (02/27/91)

In article <KIMMO.SUOMINEN.91Feb26210330@kannel.lut.fi> Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) writes:
>The xterm from HP doesn't seem to write anything reasonable to the
>utmp file's host field (it always @^B.  At least on X11r4 xterm (on
>Suns) writes "host:0.0" to that field.
>
>So what I am looking for are the sources for X11 Release 3 xterm with
>possibly that utmp host field fixed.  Any pointers?

-- Does this mean HPUX comes with X11r3 and not X11r4 ??? ---

Since I'm asking such things, can anyone point me to any direct
graphics type libraries available for HPUX that run "in concert" with
an X server. What i'm looking for is something like the XGL library
under suns of the GL library under Silicon Graphics machines. 3rd party
software is completely acceptable.

(BTW the machines are HP9000 370's and 375's if it matters)

thank you.

p.s. - thanks to all who replied to my earlier fortran questions
it was *very* helpful.

-mike hoegeman , mh@roger.imsd.contel.com

harry@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Harry Phinney) (02/28/91)

Mike Hoegeman writes:
> -- Does this mean HPUX comes with X11r3 and not X11r4 ??? ---

Yes, all current releases of HP-UX include X window system code
based on release 3.  The 7.03 and 7.05 releases contain X servers
based on R4, but all the libraries are still R3.  The HP-UX 8.0
release will include R4 library code.  In addition, we have made
R4 libraries and servers available via anonymous ftp from:

  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/MitX11R4/libs.s300.Z
  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/MitX11R4/libs.s800.Z
  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/XServers/X.7.03.300.Z
  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/unsupported/XServers/X.R4.800.Z

> Since I'm asking such things, can anyone point me to any direct
> graphics type libraries available for HPUX that run "in concert" with
> an X server.

The Starbase libraries will do this, as will the GKS libraries
and PHIGS libraries.  I'm afraid I don't have part numbers handy,
but your sales/support reps would undoubtably be able to provide
them.

Harry Phinney  harry@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/01/91)

Harry Phinney writes:
>Mike Hoegeman writes:
>> -- Does this mean HPUX comes with X11r3 and not X11r4 ??? ---

>[...]

>  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/MitX11R4/libs.s300.Z
>  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/MitX11R4/libs.s800.Z
>  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/XServers/X.7.03.300.Z
>  hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com:~ftp/pub/unsupported/XServers/X.R4.800.Z

In addition, You can pick up a full set of R4 binaires for the series 300
and 400 (w/o the contrib stuff) from me10.lbl.gov:

   7440 Feb  4 13:35 ~ftp/pub/X/XR4.list     /* a listing of XR4.tar.Z */
8427685 Jan 23 19:22 ~ftp/pub/X/XR4.tar.Z    /* the mit clients and libs
                                                minus a server */
 959929 Feb  6 11:44 /usr/spool/ftp/pub/X/Xhp.Z /* The server from hpcvaaz */

-jem
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

"I don't sing, I don't dance, and I don't like people who do."  -Leterman

stroyan@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (03/05/91)

> Since I'm asking such things, can anyone point me to any direct
> graphics type libraries available for HPUX that run "in concert" with
> an X server. What i'm looking for is something like the XGL library
> under suns of the GL library under Silicon Graphics machines. 3rd party
> software is completely acceptable.
>
> (BTW the machines are HP9000 370's and 375's if it matters)

> -mike hoegeman , mh@roger.imsd.contel.com

The Starbase graphics library comes with your systems.  Starbase can be
used with the "sox11" driver to draw graphics via xlib calls or with
various device specific drivers which use "Direct Hardware Access", (DHA).
The DHA drivers can offer more features and higher performance than the
sox11 driver, but lack the device independence and network connection
support of the sox11 driver.  HP also has GKS and PHIGS graphics library
products that can be purchased separately.

Mike Stroyan, mike_stroyan@fc.hp.com

mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) (03/09/91)

jem said:

In addition, You can pick up a full set of R4 binaires for the series 300
and 400 (w/o the contrib stuff) from me10.lbl.gov:

	Well, what about the contrib stuff?
I built XGKS, and I built xps, but xps doesn't run at all.
Has anyone gotten xps to run on an HP series 300?  If
so, may I have a binary, please?

	-Mike Gourlay

thanks..