[comp.sys.hp] rdist on HPs

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) (03/06/91)

I have had a batch of HP's for a month so far, and I found one thing lacking.

... rdist!

IMHO rdist is one of the most important tools to me as a system administrator.
I was dismayed when I didn't find it in HP-UX.  So......

 	I ported it to HP-UX.

I haven't extensively tested it, but it appears to work just fine for my
purposes.  The porting was less than trivial.  I started with the rdist
code from the berkeley tahoe release. I then had to grab the
emacs regualar expression and alloca routines.  I also had to change
the setreuid calls to setresuid calls with an additional -1 parameter.  Also
I had to convert all the utimes calls to utime calls. (It was harder than
it sounds!)

One small problem I have noticed.  If you are rdisting from a long file
system to a short name file system, you will reinstall files, due to the
truncation of the short name file system.

I've placed all the files needed to compile rdist on me10.lbl.gov in
the directory /tmp.  Hopefully the fine people at at me10 will move it
to a better place.  All that should be necessary is to untar it and
type make.

--
|Paul Lindner   |lindner@boombox.micro.umn.edu |"Because Love is all good
|University of  |U of M ACM President          | people need, and Music sets
|Minnesota MWNC |I.T. Sun/HP Sysadmin          | the sick ones free." -- MLB

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/07/91)

Paul Lindner) writes:

[Paul talks about needing rdist and his work in porting it to hpux]

>I've placed all the files needed to compile rdist on me10.lbl.gov in
>the directory /tmp.  Hopefully the fine people at at me10 will move it
>to a better place.  All that should be necessary is to untar it and
>type make.

Well, this "fine" person accidentally deleted the file Paul dropped
off.  :-( However, I added a file (pub/rdist.tar.Z) to the archive
which contains the rdist binaries and man pages.  These were ported by
someone from HP's San Diego division a couple of years ago.  All I
have are the binaries, not the HP modified source.

-jem
--
-- John Milburn             milburn@me10.lbl.gov
"It's classified.  I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -Maverick

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (03/12/91)

John> Well, this "fine" person accidentally deleted the file Paul dropped
John> off.  :-( However, I added a file (pub/rdist.tar.Z) to the archive
John> which contains the rdist binaries and man pages.  These were ported by

Well, rdist is also included in the BIND package, that someone ported
for HP-UX 3.10.  I am still using all the programs from that package
(ftp, ftpd, named, tftp, tftpd, etc) with the HP-UX 7.0 named and
resolver.

Available from lut.fi, in /unix/network/bind.4.8.tar.Z
--
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM@FINFILES