[comp.sys.hp] How to stop windows from timing out

bxb@lanl.gov (Barry J. Berenberg) (03/09/91)

HP-UX 7.03, X11R4 on a 9000/300...

My windows have this annoying habit of killing themselves
if they are inactive for some length of time (something
like 30 mins, but I'm not sure).

How can I disable this "feature?"  I've tried to find
documentation in the X manuals, but haven't had any luck.

Barry Berenberg

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (03/10/91)

In article <17127@lanl.gov>, bxb@lanl.gov (Barry J. Berenberg) writes:
> HP-UX 7.03, X11R4 on a 9000/300...
>
> My windows have this annoying habit of killing themselves
> if they are inactive for some length of time (something
> like 30 mins, but I'm not sure).

If these are "hpterm" windows with "ksh" running in them you probably have
an environment variable TMOUT set to some non-zero value.

If "echo $TMOUT" produces something other than 0 (or an error message), then
the ksh will exit after $TMOUT seconds without activity (activity == input,
I think).

I seem to recall that the default *profile files under HPUX set this value
to something non-zero.

We've been using TMOUT as an idle-out feature, but it is a pain under X, so
I find myself doing "TMOUT=0" as the first thing in each window.

Is there a nifty way for a ksh to figure out that it is running in a window?
(Assuming you ran something like "hpterm -ls".  The shell started by
doing "hpterm -e rlogin remotehost" probably has no chance of figuring out
it's in a window.)
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/10/91)

In article <17127@lanl.gov> bxb@lanl.gov (Barry J. Berenberg) writes:

>>   My windows have this annoying habit of killing themselves
>>   if they are inactive for some length of time (something
>>   like 30 mins, but I'm not sure).
>>
>>   How can I disable this "feature?"  I've tried to find
>>   documentation in the X manuals, but haven't had any luck.

If you are using csh or tcsh  put a
unset autologout
in your .cshrc or .tchsrc file
(or the corresponding ksh command).

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

fred@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Fred Appelman) (03/11/91)

In <17127@lanl.gov> bxb@lanl.gov (Barry J. Berenberg) writes:

>My windows have this annoying habit of killing themselves
>if they are inactive for some length of time (something
>like 30 mins, but I'm not sure).

It's probably not your window which is killing itself. I assume
you are running a csh in this window. The csh has a feature
called autologout, which is enabled by default. HP has enabled
autologout in the /etc/csh.login. Just type
	unset autologout
and your window will no longer autologout by itself.

Fred

steve-t@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (03/11/91)

In /comp.sys.hp/ bxb@lanl.gov (Barry J. Berenberg) // asks:
| My windows have this annoying habit of killing themselves if they are
| inactive for some length of time (something like 30 mins, but I'm not
| sure).  How can I disable this "feature?"

Sounds like your shell is timing out.  Check the value of TMOUT (if you
are using ksh).  export TMOUT=0  disables this feature.  The corresponding
shell variable for csh is autologout.
						Regards, Steve taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

bobk@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Bob Kentwortz) (03/13/91)

you can also set autologout to 0.