[comp.sys.hp] What's "supposed" to be in HP/UX...?

ash@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Art Harkin) (02/14/91)

> / comp.sys.hp / jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) /  Feb 11, 1991 /

> I have a small problem of ignorance :^).  Here in one of our labs we have
> an HP9000/360 running HP/UX 6.5 B.  I realize that's not the latest version,
> but that's what its got.  I am trying to build the 'PP' X.400 email system,
> and it has a SMTP gateway which requires internet nameservice.
>
> The problem is that I can't find the stuff relating to the RESOLVER(3X)
> routines, i.e. res_mkquery(), res_send(), res_init() and the related
> include files, etc.
>
> My question is, where does this library usually come from.  Is it supposed
> to be in HP/UX, or is it a BSD-ism, or is it available elsewhere?

The RESOLVER(3X) routines, that you are refering to, are NOW part of the
libc.a library. Unfortunately they were not available in HP-UX 6.5.
The resolver (and the nameserver - BIND) were included in the HP-UX 7.0
release.

Art Harkin
Hewlett Packard

thomas@hpugrca.HP.COM (Thomas Buenermann) (02/14/91)

Hi,
res_mkquery is available in HP-UX 7.0:
/lib/libc.a     res_mkqry.o     0x00000000 TS _res_mkquery

I did not find it anywhere in our HP-UX 6.5, and no RESOLVER man page either;
7.0 has

RESOLVER(3N)                                                   RESOLVER(3N)

NAME
     res_init,  res_mkquery,  res_search,  res_send,  dn_comp,   dn_expand,
     herror - resolver routines

- Thomas

#define DISCLAIMER "No official statement of HP"

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/15/91)

In article <4310154@hpindda.cup.hp.com> (Art Harkin) writes:
>> / jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) /  Feb 11, 1991 /

>> The problem is that I can't find the stuff relating to the RESOLVER(3X)
>> routines, i.e. res_mkquery(), res_send(), res_init() and the related
>> include files, etc.

>> My question is, where does this library usually come from.  Is it supposed
>> to be in HP/UX, or is it a BSD-ism, or is it available elsewhere?

>The RESOLVER(3X) routines, that you are refering to, are NOW part of the
>libc.a library. Unfortunately they were not available in HP-UX 6.5.
>The resolver (and the nameserver - BIND) were included in the HP-UX 7.0
>release.

While the resolver stuff was never an official part of 6.5, there is
an unofficial, unsupported patch. You may retrieve the necessary files
via anonymous ftp from me10.lbl.gov. Look in pub/bind_6.5.

You are, of course, on your own with this stuff. However, we were able
to get all of it working well.

-jem

--
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

"I don't sing, I don't dance, and I don't like people who do."  -Leterman

d89peter@odalix.ida.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) (03/01/91)

John R. Dudeck writers:

> I have a small problem of ignorance :^).  Here in one of our labs we have
> an HP9000/360 running HP/UX 6.5 B.  I realize that's not the latest version,
> but that's what its got.  I am trying to build the 'PP' X.400 email system,
> and it has a SMTP gateway which requires internet nameservice.
>
> The problem is that I can't find the stuff relating to the RESOLVER(3X)
> routines, i.e. res_mkquery(), res_send(), res_init() and the related
> include files, etc.
>
> My question is, where does this library usually come from.  Is it supposed
> to be in HP/UX, or is it a BSD-ism, or is it available elsewhere?

The resolver routines are part of the BIND nameserver/resolver package
available from a number of places, including 'uunet' (as the file
'networking/bind.4.8.3.tar.Z').

--
Peter Eriksson                                              pen@lysator.liu.se
Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen

swilliam@hpt01.even.ge.com (Steve Williams) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar1.005128.13934@ida.liu.se> d89peter@odalix.ida.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) writes:
>John R. Dudeck writers:
>
>> I have a small problem of ignorance :^).  Here in one of our labs we have
>> an HP9000/360 running HP/UX 6.5 B.  I realize that's not the latest version,
>> but that's what its got.  I am trying to build the 'PP' X.400 email system,
>> and it has a SMTP gateway which requires internet nameservice.
>>
>> The problem is that I can't find the stuff relating to the RESOLVER(3X)
>> routines, i.e. res_mkquery(), res_send(), res_init() and the related
>> include files, etc.
>>
>> My question is, where does this library usually come from.  Is it supposed
>> to be in HP/UX, or is it a BSD-ism, or is it available elsewhere?
>
>The resolver routines are part of the BIND nameserver/resolver package
>available from a number of places, including 'uunet' (as the file
>'networking/bind.4.8.3.tar.Z').

Bind is fully supported in what appears to be standard form in 7.0
HP-UX.

6.5 Seems very primitive in respect to network communication / mail /
domain handling.

Because all of the system utilities are linked with the resolver
library, when it exists, just getting the bind source won't upgrade
all of those utilities.  (Any program that calls gethostbyname(2), for
instance.  (ping, rlogin, ftp, ...))

Therefore, upgrade to 7.0 if at all possible.....

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams     SDW Systems (513) 439-4904   GE AEG (513) 552-5237
ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W     Internet: swilliam@a101.even.ge.com