[comp.sys.hp] I build xps

mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) (03/09/91)

	Hi,

	I built xps, the X PostScript interpretter
on my HPUX 7.0 series 300, and is compiled cleanly.
The problem is that when I try to run it, it gives
a buss error and dumps core, without any messages about
why or where it is going wrong.

	Know how to fix it?  Or maybe if you have a binary,
I could get it from you?

	Thanks,
	Mike Gourlay

teg@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Tim Gurbick) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.162913@dali.gatech.edu> mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) writes:

>	I built xps, the X PostScript interpretter
>on my HPUX 7.0 series 300, and is compiled cleanly.
>The problem is that when I try to run it, it gives
>a buss error and dumps core, without any messages about
>why or where it is going wrong.
>	Know how to fix it?  Or maybe if you have a binary,
>I could get it from you?

Despite the fact that we are able to get real X11R4 stuff from me10 (thanks,
jem!), we have now run into a collective brick wall.  Regardless of whether
things compile and link cleanly or not, HP's X server doesn't seem to speak
X the way the rest of the world does, which leaves us all up a certain creek
without a certain paddle.  Of course, were we to build our own servers from
the Mit code, then we could probably trash all our HP X binaries.  This is
my guess from trying to get things working for the past couple of weeks.  I
would LOVE for somebody to prove me wrong here, but there's LOTS of stuff I
just can't get working.

So how about it, HP?  Is it all THAT unreasonable for us to expect to ftp and
build some of the toys from export.lcs.mit.edu and have them work?  Things I
would like to see like xrn, xps, xpostit, xtalk, and others seem mere inches
out-of-reach.

Tim Gurbick a.k.a. teg@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu Dept of Math & CS: 237-GEEK
 Help: 911  d.b.a. teg@natasha.iusb.indiana.edu  `whois \!TEG12` Traci:0x45
SYSV: just say NO! teg@nova.cc.purdue.edu !hoser The Amiga: Born a Champion
Me: International Unix Standards Bored, educational division: (219)237-IHEX
address: CS Dept IUSB POB 7111 1700 Mishawaka Avenue, South Bend, IN  46634
"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR anybody...  I'm just having fun." - The Doctor

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.064115.5926@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> teg@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Tim Gurbick) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.162913@dali.gatech.edu> mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) writes:
>>
>>	I built xps, the X PostScript interpretter
>>on my HPUX 7.0 series 300, and is compiled cleanly.
>>The problem is that when I try to run it, it gives
>>a buss error and dumps core, without any messages about
>>why or where it is going wrong.
>>	Know how to fix it?  Or maybe if you have a binary,
>>I could get it from you?
>
>Despite the fact that we are able to get real X11R4 stuff from me10 (thanks,
>jem!), we have now run into a collective brick wall.  Regardless of whether
>things compile and link cleanly or not, HP's X server doesn't seem to speak
>X the way the rest of the world does, which leaves us all up a certain creek
>without a certain paddle.  Of course, were we to build our own servers from
>the Mit code, then we could probably trash all our HP X binaries.  This is
>my guess from trying to get things working for the past couple of weeks.  I
>would LOVE for somebody to prove me wrong here, but there's LOTS of stuff I
>just can't get working.
>
>So how about it, HP?  Is it all THAT unreasonable for us to expect to ftp and
>build some of the toys from export.lcs.mit.edu and have them work?  Things I
>would like to see like xrn, xps, xpostit, xtalk, and others seem mere inches
>out-of-reach.

  At my previous job I compiled and ran daily xrn & xpostit for sure. As well
as a lot of other things from the R4 tape and expo.  I use R4 libraries and
HP's sever.

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Tim Gurbick a.k.a. teg@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu Dept of Math & CS: 237-GEEK
> Help: 911  d.b.a. teg@natasha.iusb.indiana.edu  `whois \!TEG12` Traci:0x45
>SYSV: just say NO! teg@nova.cc.purdue.edu !hoser The Amiga: Born a Champion
>Me: International Unix Standards Bored, educational division: (219)237-IHEX
>address: CS Dept IUSB POB 7111 1700 Mishawaka Avenue, South Bend, IN  46634
>"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR anybody...  I'm just having fun." - The Doctor

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar9.064115.5926@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>,
teg@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Tim Gurbick) writes:

|>build some of the toys from export.lcs.mit.edu and have them work?  Things I
|>would like to see like xrn, xps, xpostit, xtalk, and others seem mere inches
|>out-of-reach.

I've got xrn working (on HP-UX 6.5, with HP's X11R2), but I didn't build
the binary I am using.

Henry Troup - HWT@BNR.CA (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
"If you have taken a vow of perpetual poverty, you must take your deduction
 on line 256" - 1990 Canadian Tax Guide