[comp.sys.hp] 3rd party SCSI tape on HP9000/375??

dzubin@skorpio.Usask.ca (SED's Thomas Dzubin) (03/15/91)

The following is posted for someone who does not have net access:

RE: Non-HP SCSI Mag Tapes

	Has anybody out there successfully connected a third-party (non-HP)
 SCSI mag tape drive to an HP 9000/375 running HP-UX Release 7?

	We would be very interested in the model of drive and any
difficulties/successes you experienced.

	Thanx.

Send Email and I will post a summary of the responses

Thomas Dzubin, Network Coordinator
SED Systems Inc.  #18 Innovation Boulevard,  Saskatoon Sask. Canada
dzubin@skorpio.usask.ca
(306) 933-1573

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.123011.7775@herald.usask.ca> dzubin@skorpio.Usask.ca (SED's Thomas Dzubin) writes:
>The following is posted for someone who does not have net access:
>
>RE: Non-HP SCSI Mag Tapes
>
>	Has anybody out there successfully connected a third-party (non-HP)
> SCSI mag tape drive to an HP 9000/375 running HP-UX Release 7?
>
>	We would be very interested in the model of drive and any
>difficulties/successes you experienced.

  I've hooked Exabyte 8mm drives to several HP 9000/3xx systems.  The best
success I had was using a device driver that the company I bought it from
supplied (Perfect Byte).  However, HP-UX 6.5 and 7.x do include an
unsupported scsi tape driver.  Look in /etc/master to start.  Someone may be
able to provide you with minor numbers for different modes.

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401