[comp.sys.hp] #! in scripts

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/22/91)

In article <1510019@hparc0.HP.COM> graham@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Eddy) writes:

>> Why does HP leave out the #! at the top of there scripts?

>because hp-ux is System V, not BSD

>hp-ux includes a large number of BSDisms (where they don't interfere
>with sys5; support for "#!" is an example) but is NOT the focus.
>a number of people have mistaken it for a BSD implementation

I find this answer extremely disturbing.  hp-ux is neither system V
nor BSD.  While it was originally based on SVR2, it is its own beast.
It is in little danger of being mistaken for either.

The key point here is that something is broken!  Since you provide
support for #!, and since a number of provided scripts contain a
simple # in the first line, THEY DO NOT WORK when invoked from csh.

This issue has, in fact, been discussed in this forum previously,
and a commitment was made to fix the problem.

An attitude like yours is very disturbing to me, a customer.  I don't
really care what history led to an existing problem.  What I really
care about is that you, the vendor, recognize and fix the problem,
giving me proper functionality.  Luckily, someone else has, in this
case.

-jem

Here is the response to a post about this problem last October.

>From: smp@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Platt)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
>Subject: Re: Please, be standard compliant!
>Date: 16 Oct 90 13:58:49 GMT

| To: luke@modus.sublink.ORG
| Subject: Re: Please, be standard compliant!
| Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp

    Hello Luke,

--
John Milburn             milburn@me10.lbl.gov     (415) 486-6969
"Koko, will there be gnomes and dwarves for Lebee to wrestle with?"