[comp.sys.hp] HP Workstation Trade-In For Sun SS-2

scs@hela.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/09/91)

The April 1 issue of Digital Review gives some information on a trade-in
deal for their new workstations.  They're offering $4500 credit for a
DecStation 3100 or Sun SparcStation II.

In the past, these credits were offered on a pre-discount basis.  Thus
your tradein savings were diminished proportionally to your discount.
So say you get a 20% discount, and you trade in.  Here's how your prices
would look with discount applied before and after:

    $11,900.00          $11,900.00
  -  $4,500.00                *.80
    ----------           ---------
     $7,400.00           $9,520.00
          *.80         - $4,500.00
    ----------           ---------
     $5,920.00           $5,020.00

Almost a 20% difference!  At a 40% discount, it's a much bigger difference.

So what's my point?  If you are considering taking HP up on this deal,
drop me a line.  I will give you $4,500.00 cash for that SS-2.  Email
to scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us, or call 313-769-4086.

tt@thor.acc.Virginia.EDU (Tang Tang) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.182137.15909@zip.eecs.umich.edu> scs@hela.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:

>The April 1 issue of Digital Review gives some information on a trade-in
>deal for their new workstations.  They're offering $4500 credit for a
>DecStation 3100 or Sun SparcStation II.
>
>In the past, these credits were offered on a pre-discount basis.  Thus
>your tradein savings were diminished proportionally to your discount.
>So say you get a 20% discount, and you trade in.  Here's how your prices
>would look with discount applied before and after:
>

>    $11,900.00          $11,900.00
>  -  $4,500.00                *.80
>    ----------           ---------
>     $7,400.00           $9,520.00
>          *.80         - $4,500.00
>    ----------           ---------
>     $5,920.00           $5,020.00
>
>Almost a 20% difference!  At a 40% discount, it's a much bigger difference.
>
>So what's my point?  If you are considering taking HP up on this deal,
>drop me a line.  I will give you $4,500.00 cash for that SS-2.  Email
>to scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us, or call 313-769-4086.

  I'm also interested in obtaining a SS-2 this way, and I'll offer an
additional $250 for your trouble.

Tang Tang
University of Virginia
Academic Computing Center               Internet: tt@virginia.edu
Gilmer Hall                             Bitnet:   tt@virginia
Charlottesville, Va.  22903             Phone:    (804) 924-0632