[comp.sys.hp] How to enlarge the arp table on a hp9000s800

finger@tp30.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (04/07/91)

The subject allready told you what i want.

Is there a way to enlarge the arp table ?

I did some RTFC (C=CD-ROM :-), but couldn't get out how to set such a
parameter, neither while generating the kernel nor at runtime.

We got problems using an application which connects to several hosts ( > 35)
via TCP/IP.

We found a workaround for that special case, but a REAL solution would
help us avoiding other problems (there's a disc mounted by > 50 hosts,
so the server has to swap out arp entries which will be needed again).

I'm not shure getting all postings here, so please send a mail to me.

C.Finger

P.S.: We are running hp-ux7.0 on hp9000s8xx

- --  ---   ----    -----     ------      -------       --------        --
  .     Christian Finger         |   SMTP:
 |||    Computer Center          |   finger@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
\|||    University of Karlsruhe  |   X.400:
    /   D-7500 Karlsruhe 1       |   finger@rz.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de

coolidge@speaker.sgi.com (Don Coolidge) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr6.210637.19370@ira.uka.de> finger@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:

>The subject allready told you what i want.
>
>Is there a way to enlarge the arp table ?
>
>I did some RTFC (C=CD-ROM :-), but couldn't get out how to set such a
>parameter, neither while generating the kernel nor at runtime.
>
>We got problems using an application which connects to several hosts ( > 35)
>via TCP/IP.
>
>We found a workaround for that special case, but a REAL solution would
>help us avoiding other problems (there's a disc mounted by > 50 hosts,
>so the server has to swap out arp entries which will be needed again).
>
>I'm not shure getting all postings here, so please send a mail to me.
>
>C.Finger
>
>P.S.: We are running hp-ux7.0 on hp9000s8xx

You can't do it in 7.0, I'm afraid, without access to source. The size of
the ARP table is specified by two #define'd constants in one of the header
files (probe.h, I think - Probe and ARP share the cache). You'd have to
re-#define and recompile, and nobody gets to do that unless they have a
source license. Re-genning won't work; the constant's already been compiled.

This isn't limited to HP products; just about everyone who uses BSD-based
networking has a fixed-size ARP cache. Of course, if you're really running
_pure_ BSD code (instead of a "vendor-value-added" version), you would have
the source code available to modify and re-compile.

You might look into getting the 8.0 release (which the Net says will actually
be released before too long). There was some talk in the past about making the
8.0 ARP cache a series of linked lists, eliminating the size limit. I have
no idea if it was ever implemented, though. Ask your HP support rep; they can
get the info from the lab.

- Don Coolidge
coolidge@speaker.wpd.sgi.com