[comp.sys.hp] Problem connecting LJIII to 9000-350...

luism@genesis.Berkeley.EDU (Luis Miguel) (04/04/91)

We got a new, loaded HP Laserjet 3 (4 extra Mb's, HP Postscript cartridge)
and I am trying to connect it to an HP9000-350.
I am using the built-in rs-232 port (a 98644 at select code 9).

I am using the Adobe system V transcript release of Postscript
(software that allows unix boxes to generate postscript code and
send it to the postscript printer).
I install everything acording to the transcript instructions and
the LP spooler section of the Sys Admin manual.
I can produce postscript files, but when the system tries to send them
to the printer it fails.
Doing (lpstat -t) reports: printer lj3 disabled by scheduler, cannot
				open /dev/lj3.

A ls -l on /dev/lj3 shows:

/dev/lj3 crw-rw---- 	2  lp  sys  1  0x090000

I do the required "stty xxxxxxx 9600 xxxxxx < /dev/lj3" which the
manual indicates. This call just hangs (I leave  it in the background).

Also, I had been using the rs-232 as a modem port (dial-out) at 2400
baud without any problems. I have not changed any HW configuration
switches.

Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

/Luis Miguel

--
Luis Miguel. Computer Science Division, UC Berkeley.
arpanet: luis@postgres.Berkeley.EDU

wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) (04/05/91)

In article <41572@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, luism@genesis.Berkeley.EDU (Luis Miguel) writes:
> A ls -l on /dev/lj3 shows:
>
> /dev/lj3 crw-rw---- 	2  lp  sys  1  0x090000
>
> I do the required "stty xxxxxxx 9600 xxxxxx < /dev/lj3" which the
> manual indicates. This call just hangs (I leave  it in the background).

Your first clue that something is wrong is that the 'stty' command
hangs - it shouldn't. It's hanging because the driver is paying
attention to the modem control lines (the open(2) issued to "/dev/lj3"
[by the shell as a result of the redirection] will hang until DTR comes
up). To convince the driver to ignore modem control lines, change the
last digit in the minor number to 4 (0x090004).

Port parameters get set to default values (300 for baud rate) when the
first process opens it.  So, you must open the port and keep it open
before you issue the 'stty' command (otherwise, the 'stty' command will
open the port, set the baud rate, and then close the port - nullifying
its effect). This is why the manual suggests issuing a 'sleep 20000000
</dev/lj3 &' - it opens the port effectively forever.  Your 'stty'
command shouldn't hang - but the changes will remain after it exits.

Hope all this help.

--
               Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
                (..!uunet!srlvx0.srl.ford.com!wehr%dptc.decnet)

lienhart@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lienhart) (04/06/91)

>A ls -l on /dev/lj3 shows:
>
>/dev/lj3 crw-rw---- 	2  lp  sys  1  0x090000

Try:
/dev/lj3 crw-rw-r- 	2  lp  bin  1  0x090004

Also if your modem used to work off of this device, you will
probably have to switch pins 2 and 3 on the rs232 cable.

Suggestion #2.  Remove this printer and /dev/lj3 and reinstall
it using sam.  You will have problems finding a model that
will work though.  All of the present laserjet models send
PCL escape sequences that a postscript printer will not accept.

Postscript printers are not supported until 8.0 HP-UX.

Bob Lienhart

luism@genesis.Berkeley.EDU (Luis Miguel) (04/09/91)

In article <5570593@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, lienhart@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lienhart) writes:
|> >A ls -l on /dev/lj3 shows:
|> >
|> >/dev/lj3 crw-rw---- 	2  lp  sys  1  0x090000
|>
|> Try:
|> /dev/lj3 crw-rw-r- 	2  lp  bin  1  0x090004

Done, and this was necessary (now the print spooler CAN open the device file)

|> Also if your modem used to work off of this device, you will
|> probably have to switch pins 2 and 3 on the rs232 cable.

	I think that this is THE problem. SOmebody else suggested I
check if I can spool any files to the printer (using the lp2686
driver included with hp-ux 7.0). I tried it (after taking off the
postscript cartridge from the printer) and the printer did not
respond.

	My cabling is as follows:

9000-350 port (98644@select code 9) connecte dto a 98561-61604 HP
cable connected to a regular rs-232 modem cable. I use this combination
to connect a modem to the HP 9000-350 without problems.

What is the HP cable that I need instead of the 98561-61604?

|> Suggestion #2.  Remove this printer and /dev/lj3 and reinstall
|> it using sam.  You will have problems finding a model that
|> will work though.  All of the present laserjet models send
|> PCL escape sequences that a postscript printer will not accept.

I will try this after I resolve the cabling problem.
Thanks for your help Bob...

--

mark@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Mark Simms) (04/09/91)

>> 9000-350 port (98644@select code 9) connecte dto a 98561-61604 HP
>> cable connected to a regular rs-232 modem cable. I use this combination
>> to connect a modem to the HP 9000-350 without problems.
>>
>> What is the HP cable that I need instead of the 98561-61604?

On our LaserJet+ and HP9000/350 we use a 13242G.  This is a 25 pin male
to 25 pin male cable so you will need the 9 pin to 25 in converter that
comes with the system.

I believe that the connections that you need are 1, 2 & 3 swapped, 7 and
20.  I do not know what pin corresponds to pin 20 on the 9 pin
connector.

Mark Simms

Please note that I have no connection with Hewlett Packard's printer
business other than as a user of their products
Opinions expressed are my own and are not intended to be an official
statement by Hewlett-Packard Company
Name:         Mark Simms
Profession:   Software Engineer
Occupation:   Research and Development