[comp.sys.hp] Repeat key with a track ball??

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (04/06/91)

I just plugged in my Mouse-track(r) track ball to my HP 9000/360 and
now the key repeat doesn't work (ie. if I hold down the key, it won't
repeat the character as long as the key is down).

The track ball interfaces to a little HP-HIL/Quad port module which
is inline like the keyboard (and speaker, and id module).  Is there
some X parameter that I need to set to make my keys repeat?

Thanks for any advice...

- Jeff
- jsd@esl.com

--
Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc.                    Real programmers can write
jsd@esl.com                                 Fortran in any language.

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (04/08/91)

In article <406@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@bambam.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>I just plugged in my Mouse-track(r) track ball to my HP 9000/360 and
>now the key repeat doesn't work (ie. if I hold down the key, it won't
>repeat the character as long as the key is down).
>
>The track ball interfaces to a little HP-HIL/Quad port module which
>is inline like the keyboard (and speaker, and id module).  Is there
>some X parameter that I need to set to make my keys repeat?

Generally, I've found that if you break the hil loop while the machine is
running, all kinds of odd things can happen.  My hp service guy tells me that
you're supposed to power down before messing with the loop (I don't usually;
but have been bitten as a result from time to time).  Anyway, you may be able
to restore autorepeat under X with "xset r".  If that doesn't work, reboot.

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

jws@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (John Stafford) (04/10/91)

Jeff,

   If you change the devices (or even just unplug/plug the same device)
on an active (powered up and initialized) HIL loop, odd effects can
occur, the most common is loss of keyboard repeat.  I believe that xset
r will restore it (but I'm not sure, someone more knowledgeable than
myself will have to verify).  Certainly rebooting the machine will solve
the problem as well.

--
John Stafford -- Hewlett Packard California Language Lab
Internet: jws@cup.hp.com           UUCP: hplabs!hpda!jws