[comp.sys.hp] getting gdb to run on hp9000 series 300

cherniac@bbn.com (Natasha Cherniack) (04/06/91)

I'm trying to get gdb to run on the hp9000 series 300 and I'm failing.  Turns
out that this machine has no string table and gdb thinks that it has. I set
config.gdb to be hp9k320 as my machine is NOT a BSD (ie: hp300bsd).

Does anyone have a running version of gdb that they can email to me or any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
   tasha

kjc@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (04/10/91)

In article <3473@prune.bbn.com>, cherniac@bbn.com (Natasha Cherniack) writes:

> I'm trying to get gdb to run on the hp9000 series 300 and I'm failing.  Turns
> out that this machine has no string table and gdb thinks that it has. I set
> config.gdb to be hp9k320 as my machine is NOT a BSD (ie: hp300bsd).
>
> Does anyone have a running version of gdb that they can email to me or any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>    tasha

gdb will only work with gcc that has been configured to emit GNU-style a.out
files and using the GNU assembler and GNU ld (ie GNU binutils). You have to
get these bits working before getting gdb to work.

PS: if you intend to use gcc 1.39.0 and g++ 1.39.0 get gdb 3.91.4 (alpha
    release of gdb 4.0)

Kenneth Chan
  Department of Computer Science
  University Of Liverpool