[comp.sys.hp] X & non-hil devices?

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (04/08/91)

Hi-

The title says it; is there a reasonable way to get the hp X server to
recognize a non hp-hil device as an input device?  Specifically, I've got a
Spaceball with an rs-232 interface lying around that might make a neat
"mouse" if only it could talk to the server.  Any ideas?

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

jeff@dsndata.uucp (Jeff Minnig) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr08.162946.11128@eye.com> paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) writes:

> The title says it; is there a reasonable way to get the hp X server to
> recognize a non hp-hil device as an input device?  Specifically, I've got a
> Spaceball with an rs-232 interface lying around that might make a neat
> "mouse" if only it could talk to the server.  Any ideas?

Me too.... We have a bunch of hatachi digitizer tablets that are
9600 RS232 based that we need to support under 'X'...

-jeff-

	I said it, not the people I work for.
Jeff Minnig                     | (402) 476-8278
Design Data			|
1033 'O' St.  Suite 324         | {hpfcla,sparky,unocss}!dsndata!jeff
Lincoln NE 68508                |
	Home is where your keyboard is.

gms@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) (04/11/91)

It can be done, but it's not trivial.

The hp X server can be configured, via the /usr/lib/X11/X*devices file,
to use an alternate path for its input devices instead of /dev/hil*.
This allows you to specify a path, such as "/tmp/hil" to which you
can link ptys.

You then write a program that reads input from the input device, in
this case the Spaceball, reformats it into something the X server
will understand (HIL device format), and writes it to the pty.
The X server thinks it's getting input from an HIL device, so it's
happy.

Since the Spaceball reports 6 axes of motion, your program will have
to ignore 4 of them.  Since the X protocol does not provide any way
to send configuration commands to input devices, your program will
have to do that as well.

George Sachs
gms@cv.hp.com