[comp.sys.hp] frecover problem

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (04/09/91)

If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be most
appreciative.

I have always done regular backups of our HP9000/835 using fbackup,
but have never had the need to restore anything from them until today.
Here's the problem I have with frecover.

% frecover -x -v -i /mnt1/miller/c.dir
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
(about 200 more lines of this)
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
%

I have tried 3 different fbackup tapes and get the same error. I have
tried using a graph file, running in single-user mode, rebooting, etc.
I *did* get something with 'frecover -I tapeindex'. The index seems to
be intact, though there was some binary garbage tacked on to the end
of the file. Also, I was successful in restoring some files from a tar
tape, so the mag tape hardware seems to be in order. I'm running HP-UX
7.00 by the way.

Does anyone have any clues???

Thanks in advance,
Len
| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

mjf@mjm.mjm.com (Mark Fresolone) (04/11/91)

>/ mjm:comp.sys.hp / saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) / 10:15 am  Apr  9, 1991 /
>[...]
>I have always done regular backups of our HP9000/835 using fbackup,
>but have never had the need to restore anything from them until today.
>Here's the problem I have with frecover.
>[...]
>Does anyone have any clues???

There was a similar problem on the Series 300 7.0 frecover.  It was fixed
with a patch.  Don't know about Series 800, though.

>Len

Mark Fresolone					mjf@mjm.com, rutgers!mjm!mjf
Melillo Consulting/MJM Software			908-873-0075/Fax 908-873-2250

logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) (04/12/91)

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:

>If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be most
>appreciative.

>I have always done regular backups of our HP9000/835 using fbackup,
>but have never had the need to restore anything from them until today.
>Here's the problem I have with frecover.

>% frecover -x -v -i /mnt1/miller/c.dir
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>(about 200 more lines of this)
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>%

>I have tried 3 different fbackup tapes and get the same error. I have
>tried using a graph file, running in single-user mode, rebooting, etc.
>I *did* get something with 'frecover -I tapeindex'. The index seems to
>be intact, though there was some binary garbage tacked on to the end
>of the file. Also, I was successful in restoring some files from a tar
>tape, so the mag tape hardware seems to be in order. I'm running HP-UX
>7.00 by the way.

>Does anyone have any clues???

>Thanks in advance,
>Len
>--
>| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
>| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

The bad news (maybe)  There is a bug in frecover/fbackup under HP-UX 7.0.

HP has a FIX tape for it that you should have received.  Make sure that that
is loaded.  I do not know if that is related to your problem but it could
be worth a shot

Regards  (And good luck)

--
Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                            FAX:   +61 7 837 4704

conca@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (michael vincen conca) (04/12/91)

In article <SAAF.91Apr9111521@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
>Here's the problem I have with frecover.
>
>% frecover -x -v -i /mnt1/miller/c.dir
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>frecover(2101): expected eof from input, not received
>(about 200 more lines of this)

Your problem may be that you are not specifying a device to frecover telling
it where the backup media is.  If you don't specify a device (with -f),
then frecover uses /dev/rmt/0m as its default.

								-Mike

Mike Conca, Computer Science Dept.   *  conca@handel.cs.colostate.edu
Colorado State University            *  conca@129.82.102.32
   "Everyday, as the network becomes larger, the world becomes smaller."