[comp.sys.hp] Opening my 15C calculator

6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (DogCow) (04/17/91)

I have tried without luck to pry open my 15C calculator.
I want to clean the LCD display screen and glass cover.

Any help would be appreciated....as the manual is no help at all.

Thanks,
--
=  Marc Tamsky    6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu   6600dtam@UCSBUXA (bitnet)  =

bruce@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Bruce Stephens) (04/18/91)

This will certainly void your warranty, but look for screws under
the rubber feet.
-- Bruce Stephens

jeff@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com ( Jeff Gruszynski ) (04/18/91)

/ hpuplca:comp.sys.hp / 6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (DogCow) /  5:53 pm  Apr 16, 1991 /

>I have tried without luck to pry open my 15C calculator.
>I want to clean the LCD display screen and glass cover.
>
>Any help would be appreciated....as the manual is no help at all.
>
>Thanks,
>--
>=  Marc Tamsky    6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu   6600dtam@UCSBUXA (bitnet)  =
>----------

	If it can be opened at all, it may have screws under the feet.
Peel one off and look.  The 41C is like this.  The 28 though doesn't,
apparently it's glued.  I never could open it so I X-rayed it.  Very neat
inside!

(N.B. obviously any warrantees that might still be in place would be voided
be opening (or irradiating (!)) it.)  8-{)

Jeff Gruszynski
Santa Clara Sales
Hewlett-Packard

mark@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Mark Simms) (04/18/91)

>> Any help would be appreciated....as the manual is no help at all.

Try posting in comp.sys.handhelds.  You are more likely to get a
response.

Mark Simms

Please note that I have no connection with Hewlett Packard's
calculator business other than as a user of their products
Opinions expressed are my own and are not intended to be an official
statement by Hewlett-Packard Company
Name:         Mark Simms
Profession:   Software Engineer
Occupation:   Research and Development

6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (DogCow) (04/19/91)

Ok, I've managed to open my 15C, by removing the screws under
the feet.  I've voided my warranty, which ran out a long time ago....

But now, I'm tring to get to the lcd screen and glass cover, but I've
been unable to remove the pc board. (Its really pretty, all gold traces!)

Anyone know how to remove the pc board to gain access to the lcd array?

Thanks

--
=  Marc Tamsky    6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu   6600dtam@UCSBUXA (bitnet)  =

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) (04/19/91)

>I have tried without luck to pry open my 15C calculator.
>I want to clean the LCD display screen and glass cover.
>
>Any help would be appreciated....as the manual is no help at all.

Try lifting the rubber feet on the back, and you will find 1 screw under
each one.

Unscrew them.  :-)

As far as cleaning the LCD screen, you will probably have to pry the
display up and stick a Q-tip in to clean it.  This is tricky, so be
careful!  I have opened my 16C to speed it up, but I never tried to
get under the display.

Of course, I have to state the obvious.  OPENING YOU CALCULATOR VIOLATES
ANY WARRANTY, AND THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OR ENCOURAGEMENT BY HP
TO CLEAN YOUR CALCULATOR DISPLAY.

>Thanks,

Your welcome.

| Ken Sumrall                          |     Internet: ken%hpda@hplabs.hp.com |
| HP California Language Labs          |           UUCP:  ...!hplabs!hpda!ken |
|    "I'd stomp desert dope heads for some gas in my moped!" - Bill the Cat   |
|              "What a stupid world" -Calvin (speaking to Hobbes)             |

ba7@mars.ornl.gov (M. Lee Bailey III) (04/19/91)

In article <10675@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600dtam@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (DogCow) writes:
>Ok, I've managed to open my 15C, by removing the screws under
>the feet.  I've voided my warranty, which ran out a long time ago....
>But now, I'm tring to get to the lcd screen and glass cover, but I've
>been unable to remove the pc board. (Its really pretty, all gold traces!)
>Anyone know how to remove the pc board to gain access to the lcd array?

As you can see in the followup line.  Your question really belongs in
comp.sys.handhelds.  Most of this group is for HP workstations.
                     ^^^^
                  Notice that I said MOST.

_M_._ _L_e_e_ _B_a_i_l_e_y_ _I_I_I_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _M_a_r_t_i_n_ _M_a_r_i_e_t_t_a_ _E_n_e_r_g_y_ _S_y_s_t_e_m_s_,_ _I_n_c_.
Internet:   _b_a_7_@_o_r_n_l_._g_o_v
  BITNET:   _B_I_T_N_E_T_%_"_b_a_7_@_o_r_n_l_s_t_c_"
Slo-Mail:   _P_._ _O_._ _B_o_x_ _2_0_0_9_,_ _O_a_k_ _R_i_d_g_e_,_ _T_e_n_n_e_s_s_e_e_ _ _3_7_8_3_1_-_8_2_0_3

jmcvey@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John McVey) (04/19/91)

HP hides the screws under the rubber feet!  Just use a sharp knife point
to peel the feet off.  They can be re-used if you are careful.  Be careful
of ESD.  If you don't know what ESD is then don't open your calculator.

There are two basic designs for the internals of your calc, depending on
the vintage.  Either way I would suggest using a can of compressed air
to blast away the dirt.

Be careful, your are on your own.

John McVey
jmcvey%hpbslq@hplabs.hp.com