[comp.sys.hp] Inetd core dumping

kriso@lombard.dartmouth.edu (Kris Olander) (04/18/91)

While I'm on a roll...

I just finished installing HP-UX 7.0 (third time :-< )

I've configured our lan card, and installed all the
ARPA products.

When netlinkrc tries to start inetd at boot time I
get:

netlinkrc 103 Bad System call - core dumped

at about the spot where inetd is supposed to start.
Further investigation shows that it is inetd which
is failing.  Starting inetd by hand, generating a log
file using the '-l' flag yields the following info:

"Caught signal 12
 KILLING INETD on (date/time)

 Unable to close semaphore: Invalid argument"

To successfully get inetd running, (the last time I
loaded HP-UX) it was necessary to rebuild a kernel
with System V semaphores.

Would some kind soul explain what's going on?

Why didn't I see this when I 'upgraded' to HP-UX 7.0
from HP-UX 6.5?

(ps: /usr/lib/sendmail seems to be doing something
     similar.  Does this guess make sense?)

--
Kris Olander
--------------kris.olander@dartmouth.edu----------------

milburn@me10 (John Milburn) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.201807.5207@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> kriso@lombard.dartmouth.edu (Kris Olander) writes:

>netlinkrc 103 Bad System call - core dumped

Well, you are missing the networking code in your kernel.
Be sure you have the following entries in your dfile, and remake the
kernel.

lla
lan01
nsdiag0

You probably also want:

ptymas
ptyslv
nfs

Good Luck,
-jem
--
John Milburn             milburn@me10.lbl.gov     (415) 486-6969
The fact is that one side thinks that the profits to be won outweigh the risks

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.201807.5207@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> kriso@lombard.dartmouth.edu (Kris Olander) writes:

>When netlinkrc tries to start inetd at boot time I
>get:
>
>netlinkrc 103 Bad System call - core dumped

Sounds to me like there's something missing from your kernel.  Compare the
dfile you used to build this kernel (/etc/conf/dfile usually) with
/etc/conf/dfile.full.lan to see what's missing.  Better yet, just build a new
kernel from dfile.full.lan.  You may need to uncomment the nfs line in the
dfile before building if you want nfs.

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

jmc@cnd.hp.com (Jerry McCollom) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.201807.5207@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> kriso@lombard.dartmouth.edu (Kris Olander) writes:

|   When netlinkrc tries to start inetd at boot time I
|   get:
|
|   netlinkrc 103 Bad System call - core dumped

The install kernel doesn't include semaphores, which inetd needs (to
implement the -c, -k, and -L options).

Add the following to your /etc/conf/dfile:

	sema 1

then rebuild your kernel and you'll be in good shape.

BTW, I've been told this (the lack of semaphores when you install
networking) is fixed in 8.0.

Regards,

Jerry McCollom
Hewlett Packard, Colorado Networks Division
jmc@cnd.hp.com

arnet@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Arne Thormodsen) (04/19/91)

As I recall (when I ran into the same problem) this was a plain
old-fashioned bug in the config files shipped with 7.0.  If you update
the old config files are used and you get semaphores installed.  I fixed
it the same way you did and have been running fine since.

The Response Center knew about it and helped me out.  I'm sorry you
didn't have similar help, sounds like you had to do it the hard way...

--arne