[comp.sys.hp] Parallell line connection from 9000/400s to LJ-III?

Steinar.Haug@delab.sintef.no (Steinar Haug) (04/18/91)

We have a LJ-III that we would like to connect to a 400s server using
a parallel connection. It is not clear to me from the documentation
how this should be done, so I have several questions:

	- The printer manual mentions a cable with a 36 pin connector
	at the printer end and a 25 pin connector at the computer end.
	The 400s has a connector marked "parallel" which I assume is
	the correct one. Can anybody confirm this? And if this is
	correct, what is the limit on cable length?

	- What devices need to be created? Where is the documentation
	for operation of parallel interfaces?

	- What is a suitable printer model to use?

Steinar Haug, system/networks administrator
SINTEF DELAB, University of Trondheim, NORWAY
Email: Steinar.Haug@delab.sintef.no,
	sthaug@idt.unit.no, steinar@tosca.er.sintef.no

ba7@venus.ornl.gov (M. Lee Bailey III) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.160345*Steinar.Haug@delab.sintef.no> Steinar.Haug@delab.sintef.no (Steinar Haug) writes:
>We have a LJ-III that we would like to connect to a 400s server using
>a parallel connection. It is not clear to me from the documentation
>how this should be done, so I have several questions:

We have HP 9000/300's here (Which it is my understanding, are the same as the
400's, just a different buss).

Anyway, the parallel port on the back of our machines was marked as you say,
"Parrallel".  However, our version of Unix didn't include kernel drivers
for the parallel device.  We obtained them from HP, rebuild the kernel.  And
then used the device /dev/parallel, which the UPDATE script created.

This worked like a charm.  The key was getting the driver from HP.

_M_._ _L_e_e_ _B_a_i_l_e_y_ _I_I_I_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _M_a_r_t_i_n_ _M_a_r_i_e_t_t_a_ _E_n_e_r_g_y_ _S_y_s_t_e_m_s_,_ _I_n_c_.
Internet:   _b_a_7_@_o_r_n_l_._g_o_v
  BITNET:   _B_I_T_N_E_T_%_"_b_a_7_@_o_r_n_l_s_t_c_"
Slo-Mail:   _P_._ _O_._ _B_o_x_ _2_0_0_9_,_ _O_a_k_ _R_i_d_g_e_,_ _T_e_n_n_e_s_s_e_e_ _ _3_7_8_3_1_-_8_2_0_3

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (04/22/91)

re: >>We have a LJ-III that we would like to connect to a 400s server using
    >>a parallel connection.

> However, our version of Unix didn't include kernel drivers for the
> parallel device.  We obtained them from HP, rebuild the kernel.  And then
> used the device /dev/parallel, which the UPDATE script created.

> This worked like a charm.  The key was getting the driver from HP.

If your local HP support representative does not have the 7.0/7.03 patch,
have them contact me (it is not on our normal patch system).  The driver
bits are in 7.05, but the documentation in the patch shar won't be formal
until 8.0, so the shar is useful even on 7.05.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599