[comp.sys.hp] BSD for 700

nick@sura.net (Nick Lemberos) (04/13/91)

does anyone have any SOLID information about BSD for the HP 700 series?
I have heard rumours of Mt. Xinu and elsewhere but nothing solid.
(a quick call to Mt. Xinu said "HP series what?").
I would appreciate any info (phone numbers, Email..etc) of vendors or
installations running BSD 4.3 on HP 700 hardware.

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr12.173713.6364@sura.net>
	nick@sura.net (Nick Lemberos) writes:

>does anyone have any SOLID information about BSD for the HP 700 series?
>I have heard rumours of Mt. Xinu and elsewhere but nothing solid.
>(a quick call to Mt. Xinu said "HP series what?").

I was informed from kawasaki@adac.co.jp that Mt. Xinu is supporting BSD
for 300 series (CISC).

Later, from iso@tky.hp.com mailed be that BSD for 800 series (RISC) may
be released soonly from Utah. This information is apparently not solid.

						Masataka Ohta

lepreau%mancos.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Jay Lepreau) (04/23/91)

This is "dispel rumor" time.  I head the Utah group involved with
systems software on HP hardware, which HP IAG's Research Grants
Program helps support.

The University of Utah, mt Xinu, and UCB's CSRG distribute a 4.3 BSD
port to the series 300 and in some cases, series 400 systems.  These
are Motorola 68K systems and contain *NO* series 800 or 700 (PA-RISC)
support.

There is no series 700 "snake" BSD available from anyone.  There will
not be one for some time, if ever.

DETAILS
Background: the series 300/400, 700, and 800 all have completely
different I/O busses.  The 815/832 has yet another I/O bus.  All share
peripherals to varying degrees.  Between series 800 and 700, the bus
difference is much more important than the PA architecture difference
(PA 1.0 vs 1.1).

When we get adequate docs and sources we will be starting a quick and
dirty 700 BSD port, available only to "wizards" that also have the
right HP source licenses.  Further work at Utah is highly
questionable.  I think it is unlikely that mt Xinu would pick up our
4.3 700 port.  If things rolled the right way and resources were made
available to them it's possible that CSRG might pick it up to roll
into 4.4 BSD.

Internally we are running a BSD port to the 834 and 835.  However, it
is not currently distributable because it contains some HP proprietary
code.  We also have a Mach 3.0 port to the 834/5 which is pretty much
all our own code, but it's not ready to be sent out.  CMU is taking
our 800 Mach port and BSD snake work and doing a Mach 3.0 snake port.
Note that Mach 3.0 is currently a platform for research, not
production.  And don't hold your breath for any of these.

My recommendation?  Get an OSF/1 beta release from HP which rumors
have it will be available to universities by late summer, and will
look a lot like BSD on the outside.  (So should Vr4 for that matter.)
I have no first-hand experience with either, however.

GCC/GAS/GDB
In a week or two we will release PA-RISC gcc 1.39, gas, and gdb for
the 800 and 700 series, runnable on HP-UX.  We'll post here when this
happens.  gcc 1.37 is currently available for anonymous ftp from
jaguar.utah.edu in pub/pa-gcc.tar.Z.  Code quality is moderate;
new PA 1.1 instructions are not supported.

We will soon start work, with support from Hitachi, on gcc version 2
for the PA.  Version 2 supports instruction scheduling so the code
should be better.

Jay Lepreau
lepreau@cs.utah.edu