[comp.sys.hp] HP 9000 s 700 questions ????

cszduffy@qut.edu.au (03/14/91)

A question about the VERY NEW HP9000s700 (snake) machines:

Has anyone got any technical details about these machines (CPU, MHz, MIPS,
Spec mark...) disk options, system options, any idea of pricing and
or availability as we are currently looking to upgrade the following
machines within our Faculty: 1 x 9000s840 16Mb Ram 500Mb disk, 1 DN 4500

possibility 3 x 9000s700 16Mb RAM, 1Gb disk, Monochrome systems

Thankyou for any information.

Information is best ported to the AARnet address below.

Sidney James DUFFY                  | Unix the Final Frontier
Technical Services Section          |
Faculty of Information Technology   | AARnet: sidney@snow.fit.qut.edu.au
Queensland University of Technology |
Brisbane  QLD  4001  Australia      |
Voice +[061][07]864 2177            | ARPA:   CSZDUFFY@QUT.EDU.AU

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (03/15/91)

> Has anyone got any technical details about these machines (CPU, MHz, MIPS,
> Spec mark...) disk options, system options, any idea of pricing and
> or availability as we are currently looking to upgrade the following
> machines within our Faculty: 1 x 9000s840 16Mb Ram 500Mb disk, 1 DN 4500

The s700 systems have not been formally announced yet.  I think that
you may find several articles that will give you an idea of what is
coming.  We *really* want to tell you, but others get that job.  I
imagine there will be a posting or two after the announcements :-)
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

bailey@hp5.mcs.kent.edu (Jeff Bailey) (03/16/91)

In article <31480011@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com>, campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) writes:
|> > Has anyone got any technical details about these machines (CPU, MHz, MIPS,
|> > Spec mark...) disk options, system options, any idea of pricing and
|> > or availability as we are currently looking to upgrade the following
|> > machines within our Faculty: 1 x 9000s840 16Mb Ram 500Mb disk, 1 DN 4500
|>
|> The s700 systems have not been formally announced yet.  I think that
|> you may find several articles that will give you an idea of what is
|> coming.  We *really* want to tell you, but others get that job.  I
|> imagine there will be a posting or two after the announcements :-)
|> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
|> campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
|> Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

Yeah, it really sucks don't it. We had to sign non-disclosure agreements
in order to get any info; we can't say anything either :-(

Except that we're trying *real* hard to get our hands on a couple :-)

| Jeff Bailey (Sys. Admin.) <bailey@mcs.kent.edu>     | The first academic |
| Department of Mathematics & | Home: (216) 654-2649  | institution with a |
|    Computer Science         | Dept: (216) 672-2079  |    "WaveTracer     |
| Kent State University       | Fax:  (216) 672-7824  |   Data Transport   |
| Kent - OH 44242  U.S.A.     | Work: (216) 633-9691  |      Computer"     |

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar16.014605.11367@mcs.kent.edu>
	bailey@mcs.kent.edu writes:

>|> The s700 systems have not been formally announced yet.

>Yeah, it really sucks don't it. We had to sign non-disclosure agreements
>in order to get any info; we can't say anything either :-(

Don't be so pessimistic.

I have a copy of a paper on PA-RISC 1.1 published in "Spring '91 IEEE
COMPCON Digest of Papers".

According to the paper, the performance of PA-RISC 1.1 Workstation is:

Clock	Cache		Dhrystone1.1	LINPACK		SPECmarks
(MHz)	(I/D)		VAX/MIPS	MFLOPS		Overall	Integer	Float
50	128K/256K	59.0		13.7		42.8	38.1	46.2
66	128K/256K	76.0		18.1		55.3	49.9	60.1

It should be noted that, the new "PA-RISC 1.1 Workstation" may not be
"s700 system". :-)

						Masataka Ohta

woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo RAA) (03/20/91)

Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or
mail me the Linpack MFLOP ratings for each model.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Woo, MS 227-6          |	woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center	|	NASAMAIL	ACWOO
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
Phone: (415) 604-6010       |	ames!pioneer!woo
  {hplabs,hao,att,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!pioneer!woo

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (03/20/91)

>A question about the VERY NEW HP9000s700 (snake) machines:
>
>Has anyone got any technical details about these machines (CPU, MHz, MIPS,
>Spec mark...) disk options, system options

The ad campaign is just starting.  Stay tuned to the trade press, and
700 announcements should be hard to miss.  While HP-ites could extoll
the power of these machines, you owe it to yourself to hear it from a
jaded journalist or MIPS-weary analyst.  Any questions you have at the
end of the month can be directed toward your local HP sales office.

Perry Scott
"Unofficial Member of the Strategic Leaks Program"

kev@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Kevin Jones) (03/20/91)

It's been announced that there's going to be an announcement
on March 26th.

Kevin Jones.

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.221804.22673@riacs.edu>, woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo RAA) writes:

>Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or
>mail me the Linpack MFLOP ratings for each model.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alex

>Alex Woo, MS 227-6          |	woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
>NASA Ames Research Center	|	NASAMAIL	ACWOO
>Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
>Phone: (415) 604-6010       |	ames!pioneer!woo
>  {hplabs,hao,att,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!pioneer!woo

Model#    Mhz   MIPS  MFLOPS    SPECmarks  Enclosure-type  Purpose
9000/720  50     57     17         55      desktop         workstation
9000/730  66     76     22         72      desktop         workstation
9000/750  ""     ""     ""         ""      deskside        server

Cat's out of the bag!  Source: UNIX Today!  Which arrived, ironically,
today.  Read to find out more.

There are two articles in it, first is front-page.  Official announcement
is still set for next week, but most of the important information people
want to know about now is in this issue.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>

r1yc@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Yutang Chuang) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.221804.22673@riacs.edu> woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo RAA) writes:

>Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or

Has it really been announced publicly already?

--
Yutang Chuang           Internet:       yt@hrg9000.civil.uakron.edu

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (03/22/91)

> Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or
> mail me the Linpack MFLOP ratings for each model.

Currently, HP has not announced any system in the 700 series.  We do not
comment on products before they are announced.

I promise that someone from HP will post any product announcements in
the near future (with glee :-)
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/22/91)

See also the business section of today's New York Times!

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

decot@hpisod2.cup.hp.com (Dave Decot) (03/23/91)

> Currently, HP has not announced any system in the 700 series.  We do not
> comment on products before they are announced.
>
> I promise that someone from HP will post any product announcements in
> the near future (with glee :-)

And in the proper newsgroup: comp.newprod.

Dave Decot

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar19.221804.22673@riacs.edu> woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo RAA) writes:

>Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or
>mail me the Linpack MFLOP ratings for each model.

HP9000/720 (Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 17 MFLOPS
HP9000/730 (King Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS
HP9000/750 (Coral):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS

This is for HP-UX 8.05.  For HP-UX 8.01 these figures may be a
bit lower (15 MFLOPS for the 720, I think).  Still, the fastest
FP workstation around.

Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

rwood@pa.dec.com (Richard Wood) (03/29/91)

From: mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo):
Subject: Re: HP 9000 s 700 questions ????

From: irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide')
Subject: HP9000/720 vs. Sun SS2. SSBA Benchmarks (long).
> HP9000/720 (Cobra):
> -----------------
> Identification : HP9000/720 HP-PA 89 HP-UX 8.01 50 MHz 64 MB 2*200 MB
> linpackrs(single precision,with optimization,rolled):8803 Kflops
> linpackus(single precision,with optimization,unroll):13733 Kflops
> linpackrd(double precision,with optimization,rolled):8803 Kflops
> linpackud(double precision,with optimization,unroll):13733 Kflops

According to the press release and Mike Santangelo's post, the 50MHz
Cobra clocks at 17 MFLOPS.  However, the benchmark ran on a 50MHz
Cobra at the AFUU (the SSBA series) shows the machine at 13.7MFLOPS.

Quite a difference - so what's the explanation?

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

maf@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mark Forsyth) (03/31/91)

>According to the press release and Mike Santangelo's post, the 50MHz
>Cobra clocks at 17 MFLOPS.  However, the benchmark ran on a 50MHz
>Cobra at the AFUU (the SSBA series) shows the machine at 13.7MFLOPS.

>Quite a difference - so what's the explanation?
>
>-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

The compiler. Units shipped before intro were equipped with version
8.01. The newer 8.05 compilers provide improved floating point
performance. This is clearly pointed out in the performance brief, and
both sets of numbers are listed.

Mark Forsyth
Hewlett Packard Company
Fort Collins, Colorado

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (03/31/91)

> According to the press release and Mike Santangelo's post, the 50MHz
> Cobra clocks at 17 MFLOPS.  However, the benchmark ran on a 50MHz
> Cobra at the AFUU (the SSBA series) shows the machine at 13.7MFLOPS.

> Quite a difference - so what's the explanation?

I believe that the numbers quoted in the release are based on HP-UX 8.05
and the associated compilers.  The 700 series systems can run (or
even compile) code meant to run on a series 800 system.  With the
compilers that are designed specifically for the 700s you will see a
significant performance improvement.

To get "official" information, I suggest you contact your local HP
sales office or call 1-800-752-0900.  These systems are availible now.

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (03/31/91)

Bo Thide' writes:

   >Now that the 700 series has been announced, can someone post or
   >mail me the Linpack MFLOP ratings for each model.

   HP9000/720 (Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 17 MFLOPS
   HP9000/730 (King Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS
   HP9000/750 (Coral):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS

   This is for HP-UX 8.05.  For HP-UX 8.01 these figures may be a
   bit lower (15 MFLOPS for the 720, I think).  Still, the fastest
   FP workstation around.

Hardly.  The IBM RS/6000 Models 550 and 950 give 25.2 MFLOPS, or
79.0 SPECfp's.  The Stardent 750 gives 25 MFLOPS on vectorizable
code, such as Linpack (SPECfp unknown to me).

HP *has* done exceptionally well, but hasn't trounced those really
concentrating on FP performance.  On a price/performance basis, on
the other hand, it is banging hard on IBM, Stardent, etc., especially
on the low end.

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (04/02/91)

>/ hpcupt3:comp.sys.hp / jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) /  2:20 pm  Mar 30, 1991 /

>   HP9000/720 (Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 17 MFLOPS
>   HP9000/730 (King Cobra):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS
>   HP9000/750 (Coral):  Linpack Double Precision: 22 MFLOPS
>
>   This is for HP-UX 8.05.  For HP-UX 8.01 these figures may be a
>   bit lower (15 MFLOPS for the 720, I think).  Still, the fastest
>   FP workstation around.
>
>Hardly.  The IBM RS/6000 Models 550 and 950 give 25.2 MFLOPS, or
>79.0 SPECfp's.  The Stardent 750 gives 25 MFLOPS on vectorizable
>code, such as Linpack (SPECfp unknown to me).

I'm not positive of the numbers so perhaps you are right but I must ask:
How much does one of them IBM RS/6000 Model 550's costs?  How much is the
HP9000/730?

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (04/03/91)

>>Hardly.  The IBM RS/6000 Models 550 and 950 give 25.2 MFLOPS, or
>>79.0 SPECfp's.  The Stardent 750 gives 25 MFLOPS on vectorizable
>>code, such as Linpack (SPECfp unknown to me).
>
>I'm not positive of the numbers so perhaps you are right but I must ask:
>How much does one of them IBM RS/6000 Model 550's costs?  How much is the
>HP9000/730?

Take it easy, Andy.  :-)

The RS/6000 540 is $100K.  It is quite a bit more configurable, and
may have better server performance, too.  None of the benchmarks
really test that, so it doesn't show up well in the numbers charts.

It is correct to say the 700 is the current price/performance leader in
the 50-100 MIP class.  See the front-page chart on a recent EE Times.

Perry

jbc@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Jeff Caldwell) (04/04/91)

>I'm not positive of the numbers so perhaps you are right but I must ask:
>How much does one of them IBM RS/6000 Model 550's costs?  How much is the
>HP9000/730?

Machine             Price      MFLOPs      Cost per MFLOP
------------      --------    -------      ---------------
IBM 6000/550      $138,000      25           $5,500
HP  9000/730        19,900      22              900

   It looks close, folks :-)

			-Jeff Caldwell

shankar@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Shankar Unni) (04/05/91)

In comp.sys.hp, Sidney James DUFFY (cszduffy@qut.edu.au) writes:

> A question about the VERY NEW HP9000s700 (snake) machines:

> Has anyone got any technical details about these machines (CPU, MHz, MIPS,
> Spec mark...) disk options, system options, any idea of pricing and
> or availability as we are currently looking to upgrade the following
> machines within our Faculty: 1 x 9000s840 16Mb Ram 500Mb disk, 1 DN 4500

> possibility 3 x 9000s700 16Mb RAM, 1Gb disk, Monochrome systems

> Thankyou for any information.

There are a number of discussions going on in the newsgroup "comp.arch", with
much hard information about various aspects of the snakes systems.  I won't
bother reposting them here; they should be quite easy to find (look for notes
titled "Snakebytes")..
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
HP India Software Operation, Bangalore       Internet: shankar@cup.hp.com
Phone : +91-812-261254 x417                      UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (04/06/91)

In article <5570591@hpfcdc.HP.COM> perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) writes:
>>>Hardly.  The IBM RS/6000 Models 550 and 950 give 25.2 MFLOPS, or
>>>79.0 SPECfp's.  The Stardent 750 gives 25 MFLOPS on vectorizable
>>>code, such as Linpack (SPECfp unknown to me).
>>
>>I'm not positive of the numbers so perhaps you are right but I must ask:
>>How much does one of them IBM RS/6000 Model 550's costs?  How much is the
>>HP9000/730?

In my opinion the HP9000/730 22.9 MFLOPS *and* 91 SPECfp's makes it
faster on FP than the IBM 550 25.2 MFLOPS and 79 SPECfp's.

If you're not satisfied with one 730 you can buy at least 5 more
and run them together -- at the same cost as one 550...

Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
  |I|       Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
  |R|  Phone: (+46) 18-303671.  Telex: 76036 (IRFUPP S).  Fax: (+46) 18-403100
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Rowan Hughes) (04/06/91)

In <48580009@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com> jbc@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Jeff Caldwell) writes:

(bits deleted)
>Machine             Price      MFLOPs      Cost per MFLOP
>------------      --------    -------      ---------------
>IBM 6000/550      $138,000      25           $5,500
>HP  9000/730        19,900      22              900

>   It looks close, folks :-)
>			-Jeff Caldwell

Are you sure its 20grand. We've been quoted $A105000 for a 9000/750 in
Oz;  128M and 2.4Gb. $Oz = 76c US.
Perhaps there's a massive markup across the Pacific, or you've left
out a zero. I'm keen to see the HP's benchmark for programs that
don't fit inside its very large, but slowish cache.

Rowan Hughes
James Cook University,  Australia.
csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (04/09/91)

    >Machine             Price      MFLOPs      Cost per MFLOP
    >------------      --------    -------      ---------------
    >IBM 6000/550      $138,000      25           $5,500
    >HP  9000/730        19,900      22              900

    Are you sure its 20grand. We've been quoted $A105000 for a 9000/750 in
    Oz;  128M and 2.4Gb. $Oz = 76c US.
    Perhaps there's a massive markup across the Pacific, or you've left
    out a zero.

Sure it's $20,000 - that's a 730, which has the same cpu as the 750 but
isn't as expandable.  I imagine the 112 additional meg of memory and 2.4
gig of disk cost extra, too.

cricket

csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Rowan Hughes) (04/09/91)

In <1670015@hpcc01.HP.COM> cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) writes:

>    >Machine             Price      MFLOPs      Cost per MFLOP
>    >------------      --------    -------      ---------------
>    >IBM 6000/550      $138,000      25           $5,500
>    >HP  9000/730        19,900      22              900
>
>    Are you sure its 20grand. We've been quoted $A105000 for a 9000/750 in
>    Oz;  128M and 2.4Gb. $Oz = 76c US.
>    Perhaps there's a massive markup across the Pacific, or you've left
>    out a zero.
>Sure it's $20,000 - that's a 730, which has the same cpu as the 750 but
>isn't as expandable.  I imagine the 112 additional meg of memory and 2.4
>gig of disk cost extra, too.
>cricket

This is stretching things about as far as you can go. The $19,900 is
for the BASE system. The IBM's price is FULLY configured; 128Mb + 2.4Gb.
The memory alone will have added around another $50-60k onto its price.
There's plenty of expansion slots left on the IBM, and they're costly.
The HP730 has only one slot left (so I've been told).
University prices in Aus are as follows:

base HP720    $25000                      base IBM320    $18000
base HP730    $35000                    base IBM54/50    $80000 (a guess)
base HP750    $80000             full config IBM54/50   $125000
full config HP750 $105000

If the HP72/30's really do get around 20Mflops, then they're certainly
better value. The HP750 hasn't quite toppled the IBM550.

Rowan Hughes
Marine Modelling Unit
James Cook University of North Queensland
csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (04/09/91)

Rowan Hughes concludes:
> better value. The HP750 hasn't quite toppled the IBM550.

Agreed.  Further, the price of the IBM can be brought down by
using third party memory and disks (we have confirmation this
is possible). Is the same true for HP?  Finally, any cost
comparison must include the cost of software, and the cost
of maintainence, since over a 5 year machine life, this
is a big part of the total cost.  I don't know about prices
for the HP750 maint, but I'm being taken to the CLEANERS
on the maint price for my HP/Apollo DN10k (also taken to
the CLEANERS on memory and disk prices).

Also, there is the competence of the sales and support staff.
I have dealt extensively with both HP and IBM here in Chicagoland,
and found the IBM staff MUCH more competent technically, and
much more helpful in integrating third party and even leading
edge third party hardware (8mm jukeboxes, big WORM drives, and
the like).

Also, there is the upgrade path.  IBM has so far delivered on
the promise to practically double performance each year with
a processor board swap, and they make the board swap very
affordable.  Does PA-RISC offer a similar future?  Finally,
the 22Mflop linpak comparison isn't so clear; is this with
unrolled loops or not?  The IBM does 25Mflops on straight
compiled 100x100linpak, though with the IBM coded library,
I've seen it reach 80Mflops (and this is sustainable even
for 300x300, which is out of cache).  A comparison based
on 100x100Linapak isn't very informative on its own.

It's not very clear is it?  The only thing that's clear is
that, barring a major revision of Sparc, Sun is in trouble.
Got too big for their britches, I say.
.

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (04/10/91)

> Are you sure its 20grand. We've been quoted $A105000 for a 9000/750 in
> Oz;  128M and 2.4Gb. $Oz = 76c US.
> Perhaps there's a massive markup across the Pacific, or you've left
> out a zero. I'm keen to see the HP's benchmark for programs that
> don't fit inside its very large, but slowish cache.
>
> Rowan Hughes

The price of ~$20k is for a 9000 model 730.  This has the same processor
as the 750, but with less expandibilty and greyscale graphics in the
base configuration.  The 720 and 730 are desktop while the 750 is deskside.
I would be interested in what options quoted in your 750 configuration are
and what you finally decide on purchasing.

I don't have pricing information for the various options, but am always
glad to let you know where your local sales office is :-)

csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Rowan Hughes) (04/10/91)

In <1991Apr9.164439.9440@midway.uchicago.edu> rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

>Rowan Hughes concludes:
>> better value. The HP750 hasn't quite toppled the IBM550.

>Agreed.  Further, the price of the IBM can be brought down by
>using third party memory and disks (we have confirmation this
>I have dealt extensively with both HP and IBM here in Chicagoland,
>and found the IBM staff MUCH more competent technically, and
I argee with this as well, although more with the Apollo part of HP.
We are being taken to the cleaners with Apollo-HP maintenance too.
It's around 25% of the purchase price per year.
There're some 3-party groups with IBM memory, and HP memory soon, but
I've found there're not much cheaper than either IBM, or HP.

Rowan Hughes
Marine Modelling Unit
James Cook University of North Queensland, Australia
csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au

dlj@hpfcdc.HP.COM (David Jobusch) (04/10/91)

>This is stretching things about as far as you can go. The $19,900 is
>for the BASE system. The IBM's price is FULLY configured; 128Mb + 2.4Gb.
>The memory alone will have added around another $50-60k onto its price.
>There's plenty of expansion slots left on the IBM, and they're costly.
>The HP730 has only one slot left (so I've been told).
>University prices in Aus are as follows:
>
>base HP720    $25000                      base IBM320    $18000
>base HP730    $35000                    base IBM54/50    $80000 (a guess)
>base HP750    $80000             full config IBM54/50   $125000
>full config HP750 $105000
>
>If the HP72/30's really do get around 20Mflops, then they're certainly
>better value. The HP750 hasn't quite toppled the IBM550.
>

>Rowan Hughes
>Marine Modelling Unit
>James Cook University of North Queensland
>csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au
>----------

	I would really recommend that _all_ people posting prices
	really check their facts first, especially concerning _what_
	is included in a particular system at a given price. Guesses in
	particular are not very useful information (I don't mean to
	pick on Rowan here.)

	Comparing "base" systems to "full config" systems
	is left to the discretion of the configurer :-)  The fact
	is, HP has a _great_ workstation story to tell now - we'd
	like to make sure it gets told correctly.

         ___        Dave Jobusch
        /  /        HP Fort Collins, CO
HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD  OSSD/UDL Kernel Project
      /__/          dlj@hpfcls.hp.com

csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Rowan Hughes) (04/11/91)

In <5570601@hpfcdc.HP.COM> dlj@hpfcdc.HP.COM (David Jobusch) writes:

(.... bits deleted )

>	I would really recommend that _all_ people posting prices
>	really check their facts first, especially concerning _what_
>	is included in a particular system at a given price. Guesses in
>	particular are not very useful information (I don't mean to
>	pick on Rowan here.)

I agree, so tell Jim@HP that too. The quotes for the IBM540 and
the HP750 were FIRM, the others were by word of mouth.

Rowan

anthony@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Lawrence Anthony) (04/11/91)

I have a few questions regarding the 700 series workstations from HP:

1. What is the capacity of the 3.5" floppy drive unit (A1984A)?  1.4 MB?
Does it have the capability to read/write MS-DOS/Macintosh diskettes?

2. Doesn't the base HPUX operating system come with a C compiler?  If so,
how is it different from the C/ANSI C compiler (B2413A) offered as a
separate layered product?  If not, how does one recompile the kernel?
What is the motivation behind marketing the C/ANSI C compiler separately
at list price of $1,500?

3. We have a half-height DDS DAT drive from Wangtek which we hope to use
with the 700 series workstation.  Should we expect problems reading the
HP DAT distribution tapes on our third-party DAT drive?  How about booting
off a bootable DAT tape on our third-party DAT drive?

4. What is the format of the documentation on CD-ROM (B2355A #0BC)?  Are
they in nroff/troff format?  Would it be possible to generate nice-looking
hardcopies from the CD-ROM documentation on our postscript laser printer.
Will I still have access to the usual online man pages in /usr/man if I
choose not to purchase the above option?

Any answers/guesses/suggestions/advice to the above concerns would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Lawrence Anthony
lza@ulysses.caltech.edu

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr6.055440.12663@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, csrdh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Rowan Hughes) writes:
> In <48580009@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com> jbc@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Jeff Caldwell) writes:
> >Machine             Price      MFLOPs      Cost per MFLOP
> >------------      --------    -------      ---------------
> >IBM 6000/550      $138,000      25           $5,500
> >HP  9000/730        19,900      22              900
>
> Are you sure its 20grand. We've been quoted $A105000 for a 9000/750 in
> Oz;  128M and 2.4Gb. $Oz = 76c US.

  Well, Mr. Caldwell answered a direct question literally, yielding a nice
  7:1 price ratio.  But someone in the market for a 6000/550 machine will
  most likely be looking at an HP 9000/750 in comparison, since that is the
  only model that can really be expanded to anything substantial.  And if
  someone is in a market for a machine of that capacity, one will add quite
  a bit of memory AND some disk to make it useful.  So the price ratio will
  shrink quite a bit.

  Hey, these are (probably - haven't seen any good multitasking nos. yet)
  very nice machines, at the top of the price/performance heap and all that.
  But all the add-ons some of us need to make them useful cost apx. the same
  no matter where you get the cpu from....

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (04/15/91)

re: > I have a few questions regarding the 700 series workstations from HP:

> 1. What is the capacity of the 3.5" floppy drive unit (A1984A)?  1.4 MB?
> Does it have the capability to read/write MS-DOS/Macintosh diskettes?

It supports all the HP and IBM double-sided and high-density formats,
including 720K and 1.44M.  Sector sizes of 256, 512 and 1024 bytes are
supported.  The IBM capability is essential for SoftPC, which I understand
is very peppy on a 700.  The IBM & HP are all CAV formats.  Apple uses CLV
and I don't believe we can handle that.

> 4. What is the format of the documentation on CD-ROM (B2355A #0BC)?  Are
> they in nroff/troff format?

They are in HP TAG format, a proprietary SGML.

> Would it be possible to generate nice-looking
> hardcopies from the CD-ROM documentation on our postscript laser printer.

Yes/No.  LaserROM provides the capability to dump illustrated and typeset
hardcopy, but only an a PCL printer like a LaserJet+ (or later).  If your Ps
printer is a laserJet with a cartridge, you'll need to put it in PCL mode.

> Will I still have access to the usual online man pages in /usr/man if I
> choose not to purchase the above option?

Yes.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (04/16/91)

> I have a few questions regarding the 700 series workstations from HP:

> 1. What is the capacity of the 3.5" floppy drive unit (A1984A)?  1.4 MB?
> Does it have the capability to read/write MS-DOS/Macintosh diskettes?

I have it listed as a 2MB drive.  I do not know if that is formatted or
not.  HP-UX has utilities for reading MS-DOS disks, but I do not know
if it works for this unit.

> 2. Doesn't the base HPUX operating system come with a C compiler?  If so,
> how is it different from the C/ANSI C compiler (B2413A) offered as a
> separate layered product?  If not, how does one recompile the kernel?
> What is the motivation behind marketing the C/ANSI C compiler separately
> at list price of $1,500?

The base system comes with a minimal compiler used only for reconfiguring
the system.  The C/ANSI C compiler mentioned is needed for user programs.

> 3. We have a half-height DDS DAT drive from Wangtek which we hope to use
> with the 700 series workstation.  Should we expect problems reading the
> HP DAT distribution tapes on our third-party DAT drive?  How about booting
> off a bootable DAT tape on our third-party DAT drive?

We only support the HP DDS unit for booting/installing.  Lack of support
does not automatically mean that it will not work, it means that we have
not and will not test that the configuration works or commit to any bug
fixes that are caused by that peripheral.  (Note that the SCSI card *is*
a supported HP product.  We will fix problems on our end)

> 4. What is the format of the documentation on CD-ROM (B2355A #0BC)?  Are
> they in nroff/troff format?  Would it be possible to generate nice-looking
> hardcopies from the CD-ROM documentation on our postscript laser printer.
> Will I still have access to the usual online man pages in /usr/man if I
> choose not to purchase the above option?

I don't know.

renton@hpfcse.HP.COM (Howard Renton) (04/25/91)