[comp.sys.hp] New HP RISC-based X terminals

bishop@hppad.waterloo.hp.com (Barry Bishop) (04/18/91)

           HP INTRODUCES RISC-BASED X-TERMINALS
          WITH INDUSTRY-LEADING PRICE/PERFORMANCE

        PALO ALTO, Calif., April 16, 1991 -- Hewlett-Packard
Company today introduced the HP 700/RX family of RISC-based
high-performance X Window stations.

        HP believes it is the first company to deliver a
family of X terminals based on RISC architecture, and the
first to deliver X terminals with X Window System
performance comparable to that of entry-level
workstations.

        The HP 700/RX family incorporates an Intel i960
superscalar processor that allows the new X terminals to
deliver performance levels exceeding those of competitive
X terminals by a factor of two to four at comparable or
lower price points.

        "The new 700/RX stations are an ideal companion to
the HP Apollo 9000 Series 700 PA-RISC workstations we
introduced in March," said Willem P. (Wim) Roelandts,
general manager of HP's Networked Systems Group.

        "Customers now can run software on the industry's
most powerful workstations, the Series 700, and access
that software from the industry's fastest X stations.
This results in a dramatic price/performance improvement
for users who want the administrative simplicity of a
terminal and the interactive performance of a
workstation."

        HP's market research indicates significant user
frustration with wait times associated with existing
X terminals.  The significant improvement in
X Window System performance in the HP 700/RX family makes
these X stations an attractive solution for applications
that require levels of interactive performance previously
available only on workstations, HP said.

        When combined with HP's recently-introduced Series
700 workstations, the HP 700/RX stations deliver leading
desktop price/performance, which is critical for users
who require access to peak computing power,
such as software-development engineers or financial
analysts.

        The HP 700/RX stations also are targeted at business
and technical applications such as geographic-information
systems, mechanical computer-aided design, desktop
publishing, business graphics, and office and
manufacturing automation.  Users in these fields require
a high-performance graphics station to access and display
simultaneously software that may reside on different
computers on a multivendor network.

        The HP 700/RX Models 19Ca and 16Ca use a 22.7-MHz
Intel i960, feature interactive eight-plane color
graphics and 4 Mbytes of user memory and offer 76,000
Xstones of performance and an overall X11perf rating of
0.85.  The HP 700/RX Models 19Mi and 16Ci use a 20-MHz
i960.

        Model 19Mi includes 2 Mbytes of user memory and
offers 60,000 xstones of performance.  Model 16Ci
includes 4 Mbytes of user memory and offers 50,000
xstones of performance and an overall X11perf rating of
0.75.  User memory can be expanded to 18 Mbytes in all
models.

        Xstone and X11perf ratings provide a benchmark for
measuring X Window System server products.  The Xstone
rating is based on the performance of a Sun Microsystems
Sun 3/50 configured as an X Window System server, which
is assigned a performance level of 10,000 xstones.  The
X11perf rating is normalized to the performance of a
DECstation 3100, which is assigned a rating of 1.0.

        To protect user investments in the HP 700/RX
stations, HP offers the industry's only upgrade path to a
workstation.  Customers of HP's previous generation of X
terminals, the HP 700/X family, also can upgrade to the
new 700/RX stations.

U.S. List Prices and Availability

HP 700/RX Model 19Ca Color X Station               $5,995
   o 19-inch 1280x1024 color monitor (72Hz)
   o 4 Mbytes DRAM, 2 Mbytes VRAM
   o 76,000 xstones in performance

HP 700/RX Model 16Ca Color X Station                5,195
   o 16-inch 1024x768 color monitor (75Hz)
   o 4 Mbytes DRAM, 1 Mbyte VRAM
   o 76,000 xstones in performance

HP 700/RX Model 16Ci Color X Station                4,495
   o 16-inch 1024x768 color monitor (75Hz)
   o 4 Mbytes DRAM, 1 Mbyte VRAM
   o 50,000 xstones in performance

HP 700/RX Model 19Mi Monochrome X station           2,995
   o 19-inch 1280x1024 monochrome monitor (72Hz)
   o 2 Mbytes DRAM, 0.24 Mbytes VRAM
   o 60,000 xstones in performance

        The HP 700/RX family of X stations is expected to be
available on May 1, with four to eight weeks delivery
upon receipt of order.

	For more information on the HP 700/RX family of RISC-based
X stations, call 1-800-752-0900 for the phone number of your nearest
HP sales office. In areas outside of the U.S., call your local HP
sales office listed in your telephone directory.

        Hewlett-Packard Company is an international
manufacturer of measurement and computation products and
systems recognized for excellence in quality and support.
The company's products and services are used in industry,
business, engineering, science, medicine and education in
approximately 100 countries.  HP has 91,000 employees and
had revenue of $13.2 billion in its 1990 fiscal year.

                                 # # #

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (04/20/91)

>        The HP 700/RX family incorporates an Intel i960
>superscalar processor that allows the new X terminals to
>deliver performance levels exceeding those of competitive
>X terminals by a factor of two to four at comparable or
>lower price points.

Re: "700" and "RISC".

Oy, what an unfortunate collision.  This is the 700 terminal family -
700/92, 700/94 - and not the hp9000/700 workstation family.  Numbers
mania strikes again.

Perry

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (04/22/91)

In article <1050008@hppad.waterloo.hp.com> bishop@hppad.waterloo.hp.com (Barry Bishop) writes:
>  [ Text of product announcement deleted. ]

This is an inapropriate newsgroup for such postings.  Please direct them
to comp.newprod.

Fletcher Kittredge
Senior Engineer, BBN Software Products
150 CambridgePark Dr,  Cambridge, MA. 02140
617-873-3465  /  fkittred@bbn.com  /  fkittred@das.harvard.edu

bishop@hppad.waterloo.hp.com (Barry Bishop) (04/22/91)

Well, almost.  This is the 700/RX X terminal family, which is different
from the 700/92, etc terminal family.

The 700/RX family is a family of X terminals.  Corporate liked the use
of the common number (I guess!).  I sure get a lot of calls on the
700/?? ASCII terminals :-( !

Barry Bishop "We do Windows Fastest!!"  ######## /   ########
Technical Marketing Mgr.               #######  /      #######
Panacom Automation Div.                ######  /_    __ ######  H E W L E T T
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada              #####  /  /  /  / #####
Email:bishop@waterloo.hp.com           ######     /     ######  P A C K A R D
Phone:(519) 886-5320                   #######   /     #######
FAX:  (519) 886-8620                    ########/    ########

bishop@hppad.waterloo.hp.com (Barry Bishop) (04/26/91)

I have been advised that this is not an appropriate newsgroup to post in.
I unfortunately was given a list of newsgroups to post to, and did not
realize the implications of the posting.

I apologize for this posting.

Barry Bishop                            ######## /   ########