[comp.sys.hp] pop3 mail server not recognized

pcrump@vms.macc.wisc.edu (05/01/91)

I would first like to thank Shun'ichiro Cho from Tokyo, Japan, and John Kemp
from the University of Illinois for their help and advice.  From what they
have told me, popper (pop3 server) is running on HP9000/835 and HP9000/840
computers.  I have a HP9000/825 and can't seem to get the pop3 server to run.
It keeps saying "pop/tcp: Unknown service" when /etc/inetd is started up.
It doesn't seem to make any difference whether a pop2 process is running or
not.  I have also tried rebooting.

The important files seem to be /etc/services, /etc/inetd.conf.  These are
listed at the end of this message.  Immediately following are the lines
which pertain to pop3 from these files.

Anyone have any clues?

file: /etc/services
    pop 110/tcp

file: /etc/inetd.conf
    pop stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/popper popper -t /usr/adm/pop.log

error message when executing "/etc/inetd -l"
     pop/tcp: Unknown service

************************** /etc/services *************************************
# @(#)$Header: services,v 15.5 89/07/21 15:43:29 jmc Exp $
#
# This file contains the information about the services provided.
#
# The form for each entry is:
#
# See the services(4) manual page for more information.
# Note: The entries cannot be preceded by a blank space.
#

ftp         21/tcp                  # ARPA file transfer protocol
telnet      23/tcp                  # ARPA virtual terminal protocol
smtp        25/tcp                  # ARPA simple mail transfer protocol
domain      53/tcp   nameserver     # ARPA domain namserv
pop 110/tcp
portmap     111/tcp                 # map RPC program numbers to ports
netbios_ns  137/tcp                 # NetBIOS Name Service
netbios_dgm 138/tcp                 # NetBIOS Datagram Service
netbios_ssn 139/tcp                 # NetBIOS Session Service
imap        143/tcp                 # the imap server daemon
exec        512/tcp                 # remote execution, passwd required
login       513/tcp                 # remote login
shell       514/tcp  cmd            # remote command, no passwd used
printer     515/tcp  spooler        # remote print spooling
DAServer    987/tcp                 # SQL distributed access
rlb         1260/tcp                # remote loopback diagnostic
nft         1536/tcp                # NS network file transfer
netdist     2106/tcp                # update(1m) network distribution service
rfa         4672/tcp                # NS remote file access
lanmgrx.osB 5696/tcp                # LAN Manager/X for B.00.00 OfficeShare
grmd        5999/tcp                # graphics resource manager
spc         6111/tcp                # sub-process control
who         513/udp                 # remote who and uptime
syslog      514/udp                 # system logging
talk        517/udp                 # conversation (reserved for future use)
route       520/udp  router         # ARPA routing information protocol
nfsd        2049/udp                # NFS remote file system

# The X10_LI server for each display listens on ports 5800 + display number.
# The X10_MI server for each display listens on ports 5900 + display number.
# The X11 server for each display listens on ports 6000 + display number.
# Do not associate other services with these ports.
# Refer to the X documentation for details.
************************* /etc/inetd.conf ************************************
# @(#)$Header: inetd.conf,v 15.3 89/07/20 15:46:33 jmc Exp $
# @(#)4.1	87/08/17
##
# Inetd  reads its configuration information from this file upon execution
# and at some later time if it is reconfigured.
# The number of entries in this file must not exceed _NFILE - 10.  _NFILE
# is defined in <stdio.h>.
#
# A line in the configuration file has the following fields separated by
# tabs and/or spaces:
#
# 	service name		as in /etc/services
#	socket type		either "stream" or "dgram"
#	protocol		as in /etc/protocols
#	wait/nowait		only applies to datagram sockets, stream
#				sockets should specify nowait
#	user			name of user as whom the server should run
#	server program		absolute pathname for the server inetd will
#				execute
#	server program args.	arguments server program uses as they normally
#				are starting with argv[0] which is the name of
#				the server.
#
# See the inetd.conf(4) manual page for more information.
##
pop stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/popper popper -t /usr/adm/pop.log
ftp  	stream tcp  nowait  root  /etc/ftpd     ftpd
telnet 	stream tcp  nowait  root  /etc/telnetd  telnetd
login  	stream tcp  nowait  root  /etc/rlogind  rlogind
shell 	stream tcp  nowait  root  /etc/remshd   remshd
exec 	stream tcp  nowait  root  /etc/rexecd   rexecd
lanmgrx.osB stream tcp  nowait  root  /usr/lib/lm/lmsess.osB lmsess.osB
#printer	stream tcp  nowait  root  /usr/lib/rlpdaemon rlpdaemon -i
##
#	rpc services, registered by inetd with portmap
#       Do not uncomment these unless your system is running portmap!
##
rpc  stream tcp  nowait  root  /usr/etc/rpc.rexd     100017  1    rpc.rexd
rpc  dgram  udp  wait    root  /usr/etc/rpc.rstatd   100001  1-3  rpc.rstatd
rpc  dgram  udp  wait    root  /usr/etc/rpc.rusersd  100002  1-2  rpc.rusersd
rpc  dgram  udp  wait    root  /usr/etc/rpc.mountd   100005  1    rpc.mountd
rpc  dgram  udp  wait    root  /usr/etc/rpc.rwalld   100008  1    rpc.rwalld
rpc  dgram  udp  wait    root  /usr/etc/rpc.sprayd   100012  1    rpc.sprayd

Peter Crump
148 Animal Science            608-263-2816
1675 Observatory Drive        crump@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Madison, WI  53706

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.143510.25127@macc.wisc.edu> pcrump@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

>I would first like to thank Shun'ichiro Cho from Tokyo, Japan, and John Kemp
>from the University of Illinois for their help and advice.  From what they
>have told me, popper (pop3 server) is running on HP9000/835 and HP9000/840
>computers.  I have a HP9000/825 and can't seem to get the pop3 server to run.
>It keeps saying "pop/tcp: Unknown service" when /etc/inetd is started up.
>It doesn't seem to make any difference whether a pop2 process is running or
>not.  I have also tried rebooting.
>
>The important files seem to be /etc/services, /etc/inetd.conf.  These are
>listed at the end of this message.  Immediately following are the lines
>which pertain to pop3 from these files.
>
>Anyone have any clues?
>
>file: /etc/services
>    pop 110/tcp
>
>file: /etc/inetd.conf
>    pop stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/popper popper -t /usr/adm/pop.log
>
>error message when executing "/etc/inetd -l"
>     pop/tcp: Unknown service

    Maybe you are running YP?  If that's the case, then "/etc/services"
(as well as other files) are ignored by certain system calls.  If you are
running YP modify /etc/services on the master server and then run ypmake.

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401