[comp.sys.hp] 9144 device file

Shawn.Hayes@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Shawn Hayes) (05/04/91)

Thanks to an incredibly bad streak of luck the device file for the 9144 tape
drive on our HP 9000 has been deleted.  I know that I need to use mknod in
order to recreate it, but I must be missing a couple of steps as I have not
been able to make it work.  What are the steps needed to recreate the
/dev entry for a 9144 tape drive?

Thanks.

Shawn Hayes
	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.oit.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (05/05/91)

In article <3627@beguine.UUCP> Shawn.Hayes@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>Thanks to an incredibly bad streak of luck the device file for the 9144 tape
>drive on our HP 9000 has been deleted.  I know that I need to use mknod in
>order to recreate it, but I must be missing a couple of steps as I have not
>been able to make it work.  What are the steps needed to recreate the
>/dev entry for a 9144 tape drive?

I'll assume that the drive is hpib, and at select code 7, and that you
want a device file called /dev/rct.
use:

/etc/mknod /dev/rct c 4 0x070000

If you want to be able to mount it as a file system (but why :-) )
use:

/etc/mknod /dev/ct b 0 0x070000

-jem
--
John Milburn             milburn@me10.lbl.gov     (415) 486-6969
"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR anybody...  I'm just having fun." - The Doctor

jeff@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com ( Jeff Gruszynski ) (05/07/91)

> / hpuplca:comp.sys.hp / Shawn.Hayes@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Shawn Hayes) /  7:12 pm  May  3, 1991 /
>
> Thanks to an incredibly bad streak of luck the device file for the 9144 tape
> drive on our HP 9000 has been deleted.  I know that I need to use mknod in
> order to recreate it, but I must be missing a couple of steps as I have not
> been able to make it work.  What are the steps needed to recreate the
> /dev entry for a 9144 tape drive?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shawn Hayes

for /dev/update.src on internal hpib at address 3:

	$ mknod /dev/update.src c 4 0x070300

Jeff Gruszynski
T&M STE SE
Santa Clara Sales