[comp.sys.hp] SCSI disk sources

steven@pacific.csl.uiuc.edu (Steven Parkes) (04/23/91)

We're in the market for a 1+GB SCSI disk and an Exabyte 8200.  So far we have
quotes on the Fujitsu M2266, the WREN VII, and an HP (I don't have the model
number at hand.)  Any notable observations on these or other drives would be
appreciated -- things such as noise, reliability, and performance.

We are also looking for sources that have good (university) pricing and have
currently talked with NPI(IL), R^2(CO), and Datalink(IL).

guscus@katzo.rice.edu (gustavo e scuseria) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr22.191208.796@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> steven@pacific.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
>We're in the market for a 1+GB SCSI disk and an Exabyte 8200.  So far we have
>quotes on the Fujitsu M2266, the WREN VII, and an HP (I don't have the model
>number at hand.)  Any notable observations on these or other drives would be
>appreciated -- things such as noise, reliability, and performance.

I have a bunch of Seagate wren7's and they have proven very
reliable and produce little noise.
We run very intensive IO applications and the performance of the drives
has been excellent too.
You may also want to check the new wren8 that started shipping a
few weeks ago. I believe these are 2.4 Gbytes drives
(2 Gbytes formatted) that will sell for approximately 5,000$.
Last time I bought wren7's I paid 5,695$ for TWO of them in a shoe-box
including power supply and 150$ for an extended 5yr warranty.
The wren7's are 1.2 Gb unformatted and 1.0 Gb formatted.
The wren8's should be similar $/mbyte but they support SCSI II and are faster.

BTW, I would very much like to know if the new SNAKE HP 700 series machines
will support these 3rd party disk-drives. SCSI is supposed to be an
industry standard, but you never know if the vendor will add some
propietary stuff that will make it impossible to plug anything but
their own products.
--
Gustavo E. Scuseria              | guscus@katzo.rice.edu
Department of Chemistry          |

sysjohn@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (John Chee Wah) (05/10/91)

In article <1991Apr29.161348.373@rice.edu> guscus@katzo.rice.edu (gustavo e scuseria) writes:
# In article <1991Apr22.191208.796@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> steven@pacific.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
# >We're in the market for a 1+GB SCSI disk and an Exabyte 8200.  So far we have
# >quotes on the Fujitsu M2266, the WREN VII, and an HP (I don't have the model
# >number at hand.)  Any notable observations on these or other drives would be
# >appreciated -- things such as noise, reliability, and performance.
# >
#
[...]

I have added a Fujitsu 2266 as an additional disk (seems to be quite
fast on the HP compare with other machines) and Python DAT as a
replacement for HP DAT on a 720 and they seem to work just fine.  Will
check for compatibility of 3rd party drives/DAT/CD when we get a
machine with HP DAT tapes and CDs.

# --

johncw@physics.utoronto.ca