[comp.sys.hp] Quota... How can you live without it?

carllp@diku.dk (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) (05/03/91)

HPUX doesn't seem to have support for quota on filesystems, and there
doesn't seem to be any other way to control users diskconsumptions.

Is this correct? (I am new to HPUX, so I might have overlooked something).

How am I supposed to control the diskusage? I fear my users will snarf
all available diskspace in less than 50 minutes if there is no
quota-system to stop them.

Regards
Carl-Lykke

--
Carl-Lykke Pedersen (System Administrator)     Email:  carllp@diku.dk
DIKU (Dept. Comp. Sci. Univ. Copenhagen)       Fax:   +45 31 39 02 21

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (05/03/91)

Carl-Lykke> HPUX doesn't seem to have support for quota on
Carl-Lykke> filesystems, and there doesn't seem to be any other way to
Carl-Lykke> control users diskconsumptions.

HP-UX doesn't have disk quota as of 7.0, but I've been tols that a
disk quota very similar to the one on Suns has been implemented in the
next release, 8.0.  In fact it should work together with Sun's quota
(rpc.rquotad over NFS).

Carl-Lykke> How am I supposed to control the diskusage? I fear my
Carl-Lykke> users will snarf all available diskspace in less than 50
Carl-Lykke> minutes if there is no quota-system to stop them.

I know that feeling.  In Finland they have promised 8.0 in May, but in
the mean time I have partitioned my disks in a few pieces and placed
the most space consuming users together on the same partition.  They
seem to control each other quite well ;-)
--
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM@FINFILES

nenaas@ulrik.uio.no (Nils-Eivind Naas) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.194652.4892@odin.diku.dk> carllp@diku.dk (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) writes:

   HPUX doesn't seem to have support for quota on filesystems, and there
   doesn't seem to be any other way to control users diskconsumptions.

   Is this correct? (I am new to HPUX, so I might have overlooked something).

   How am I supposed to control the diskusage? I fear my users will snarf
   all available diskspace in less than 50 minutes if there is no
   quota-system to stop them.

   Regards
   Carl-Lykke

   --
   Carl-Lykke Pedersen (System Administrator)     Email:  carllp@diku.dk
   DIKU (Dept. Comp. Sci. Univ. Copenhagen)       Fax:   +45 31 39 02 21
   Universitetsparken 1
   DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark

There seems to be support for disk quotas in HPUX 8 (at least for 720).
Page 5-53 ff. in Systems Administration Tasks

Nils-Eivind Naas  ISAF,Oslo   nen@isaf.no  or nenaas@ulrik.uio.no

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) writes:
>HP-UX doesn't have disk quota as of 7.0, but I've been tols that a
>disk quota very similar to the one on Suns has been implemented in the
>next release, 8.0.

Yes, I have been told so too. What have HP done about 'chown'? Today
everybody can 'chown' all there files to somebody else, and this seems
to work against quotas.

>I know that feeling.  In Finland they have promised 8.0 in May, but in
>the mean time I have partitioned my disks in a few pieces and placed
>the most space consuming users together on the same partition.

In Denmark they say June for the 300/400-series, so I have to wait a
little longer (Sigh!). You are talking about the 800/700-series I
suppose. As far as I know it is not possible to partition a disk on
the 300/400-series. Maybe I could just ask the users to be
considerate.

BTW: Does anybody have a list of differences between HPUX 7.0 and 8.0?
     And does anybody have a guess about what the differences will be
     between 8.0 and OSF/1?

Regards
Carl-Lykke

--

paul@prcrs.prc.com (Paul Hite) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.160646.22539@odin.diku.dk>, carllp@diku.dk (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) writes:
> Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) writes:
> Yes, I have been told so too. What have HP done about 'chown'? Today
> everybody can 'chown' all there files to somebody else, and this seems
> to work against quotas.

By default anyone can chown, but the system administrator has control over
this.  HP-UX has a notion of privileged groups and you can use this to control
who can chown.  "setprivgrp -n CHOWN" will allow only root to chown.  This
will break /bin/mail which is sgid to mail.  So
	setprivgrp -n CHOWN
	setprivgrp -g mail CHOWN

would be better.  I have never revoked chown so I don't know what other
issues may exist.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   paul@prcrs.prc.com    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (05/09/91)

> There seems to be support for disk quotas in HPUX 8 (at least for
> 720).  Page 5-53 ff.  in Systems Administration Tasks

Yes, (that's release 8.0) and for the 300, 700 and 800.

Rob Robason
"I work for HP, don't pay any attention to what I say"

shankar@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Shankar Unni) (05/10/91)

In comp.sys.hp, carllp@diku.dk (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) writes:

> Yes, I have been told so too. What have HP done about 'chown'? Today
> everybody can 'chown' all there files to somebody else, and this seems
> to work against quotas.

HP-UX has (for some time now)  had the ability to restrict the "chown"
facility to root only.   Check out "man 1m setprivgrp"  .
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
HP India Software Operation, Bangalore       Internet: shankar@india.hp.com
Phone : +91-812-261254 x417                      UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

DISCLAIMER:
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

franks@hpuamsa.neth.hp.com (Frank Slootweg CRC) (05/10/91)

Re: Disk quotas and "chown(2)" :

  Since you can not have it SysV-wise and Berkeley-wise at the same time
with regard to "chown(2)", HP created "setprivgrp(1|2)" a long time ago,
which a.o. allows "chown(2)" (in)capability to be set on a per group basis.

  For every problem there is a solution ... or was it the other way
around?

Frank Slootweg, HP, Dutch Customer Response Center.