[comp.sys.hp] RMB on 9K/700?

devil@TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL (Gil Tene) (05/05/91)

Hello HPeople,

I am interested in knowing whether RMB (I think it's called
"Rocky Mountain Basic") runs on the news HP snakes. Does
anyone out there know? Anyone from HP maybe?

I need to know this in order to help in selection between
a 700 and a 385 or 433...

AdvThanks,

-- Gil.
-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just doesn't pay    --
-- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --

fmonaldo@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Monaldo Francis M. S1R x8648) (05/06/91)

devil@TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL (Gil Tene) writes:

>Hello HPeople,

>I am interested in knowing whether RMB (I think it's called
>"Rocky Mountain Basic") runs on the news HP snakes. Does
>anyone out there know? Anyone from HP maybe?

>I need to know this in order to help in selection between
>a 700 and a 385 or 433...

>AdvThanks,

>-- Gil.
>--
>-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just doesn't pay    --
>-- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --

After converstaions with my HP rep, these are my heresay impressions of RMB's
future:

	In the past RMB has been intimately linked with (indeed has been)
the operating system. This makes it difficult to port.  My understanding,
(correct me HP people if I am wrong) is that HP will have two versions of RMB.
One, for a BASIC workstation. The second will be an radically restructed
version that will be pure X-window application, that can be ported to
a variety of computers. This will be more than RMB/UX. It will not be
tied to the 680x0 processors.

	My rep also told me the HP is working on a port of this seond version
of RMB for the Snakes. I would welcome less heresay comments for HP
people who may have greater insight.

	I just saw an ad for an RMB to C conversion porgram. It would
be nice to write software in the comfortable RMB environment ane perform
a conversion to get the inherent speed of C.  What about it HP?

		Frank Monaldo
		fmonaldo@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

sjo@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Onofrio) (05/09/91)

    Here is the current thought...

    The unofficial word is that S/700 will not support RMB/WS on the S/700,
    but it will support RMB/UX and C programming language. This will include
    at least access to the EISA HPIB card.

    I will refer you to the your HP Sales Rep in Tel-Aviv for more information.

Scott Onofrio (sjo@hplvec.lvld.hp.com)

sjo@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Onofrio) (05/10/91)

   HP has indicated that the HP BASIC/UX product (which is an
   application running on HP-UX) is supported today on the
   Series 300 and Series 400 products and will be supported on
   the Series 700 workstation platforms in the future.

   This is a future product which has not yet been formally
   announced, hence details are not yet available.  HP has sent
   a series of messages and future product strategy statements
   to our sales personel regarding this matter.  Although, the
   entire hardware platform issue (series 300/400/700/800 and PC)
   has been somewhat confused within T&M, we are striving to clarify
   all platform related issues.  Simply stating the HP 9000 Series
   300 products will continue to best meet the majority of the needs
   within T&M.

   You should consult your HP T&M sales representitive regarding
   this matter.

   Sincerely,

   Leonard M. Gilmore
   Hewlett Packard - Product Marketing

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (05/13/91)

In article <9959@discus.technion.ac.il> devil@TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL (Gil Tene) writes:

> I am interested in knowing whether RMB (I think it's called
> "Rocky Mountain Basic") runs on the news HP snakes. Does
> anyone out there know? Anyone from HP maybe?

to the best of my knowledge, no, neither rmb/ws nor rmb/ux will run on
the 700's or 800's.

although i dont have any inside info, my guess is that the workstation
version of rmb will _never_ run on anything other than series 200's
and 300's.  the rmb under unix will probably not run on anything other
than the 300's and 400's for a _long_ time.  too many of the internal
structures of rmb have embedded 68000 instructions in them to make the
porting easy.

if you find out otherwise, please let me know.  i would be interested
in it also.

-wayne