[comp.sys.hp] Berkeley remote spooling

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (05/15/91)

Does HP-UX (version 7 or later) provide an interface to Berkeley-style
remote spooling & printing?  Can an HP print to a Berkeley queue?  Can
a printer on an HP be accessed remotely as a Berkeley queue?  Does
HP-UX support remote printing at all?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.123244.9725@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>Does HP-UX (version 7 or later) provide an interface to Berkeley-style
>remote spooling & printing?
   Yes.  (Although you use SYSV commands like lp, lpstat, etc)

>Can an HP print to a Berkeley queue?
   Yes.
>Can a printer on an HP be accessed remotely as a Berkeley queue?
   Yes.
>Does HP-UX support remote printing at all?
   Yes.
> If so, how?
  Its explained in the manual. Probably the Sysadmin stuff.  Check out
  rlpdaemon.  Setting up remote printers is actually one of the few things
  I found SAM useful for (Even though I have to doit ob every machine that
  I wish to utilize the printer)

>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
>Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force
>Workstation Support               has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber.

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401

tannenba@engr.wisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May15.123244.9725@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>Does HP-UX (version 7 or later) provide an interface to Berkeley-style
>remote spooling & printing?  Can an HP print to a Berkeley queue?

Sure.  As an example, say you wanted to setup a printer called
"line" on HP-UX, and you wanted "line" to go to a remote machine
called "serv0" that is running Berkely lpr stuff (like suns do).

You would issue the following commmands:

/usr/lib/lpshut
/usr/lib/lpadmin -pline -mrmodel -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -ob3 -ormserv0 \
   -orpline -orc -v/dev/null
/usr/lib/lpsched
/usr/lib/accept line
/usr/bin/enable line