[comp.sys.hp] SAM with 7.0 / Yellow Pages

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/21/91)

In article <1331@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk>,
pearmana@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Pearman) writes:

> hhhmmm.....
> When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
> to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
> in line mode on a non-HP screen.
>
> Not having an HP screen in my office means a long walk to the Computer
> room to use the console to setup/delete users.

I suspect that more terminals (ANSI) will be supported with HP-UX 8.0.
Yes - it is frustrating that SAM (with 7.0) insists on defining softkeys
without checking the terminal type first.

Worse than that - try running Yellow Pages...SAM *does not* support this
(you cannot create/delete Yellow Pages users with SAM under 7.0 :-( :-( ).
I ended up having to write a massive shell script to cope with this...

On the subject of Yellow Pages, isn't it amazing how many packages don't
like it ? Not only SAM, but Ingres too and I bet there are others out there...

Richard K. Lloyd,       **** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.4 ****
Computer Science Dept.,   JANET     : rkl@uk.ac.liv.cs.and
Liverpool University,     Internet  : rkl%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Merseyside, England,      UUCP      : ..!mcsun!ukc!liv-cs!rkl
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (05/24/91)

>> >When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
>> >to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
>> >in line mode on a non-HP screen.
>>
>> We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?
>
>what about just supporting terminfo and be done with it?
>
>-wayne

Just to stop the e-mail deluge I'm getting, here's the scoop.

Yes, terminfo would be the right way to do this.  SAM uses a 3rd party
frontend that doesn't use terminfo.  Rather, it has it's own way of
defining terminal characteristics, much of which is rather painful to
program.

So, while doing new term types isn't impossible, we have to watch the
ROI.  vt100 and wyse30 were the most-requested, so we did them.  If
there are other common term types that would help your shop, let me know
and I'll forward them to the decision-makers.  This isn't a promise to
do your favorite term type - just a market survey.

Perry Scott
HP Ft Collins