[comp.sys.hp] SAM

pearmana@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Pearman) (05/16/91)

hhhmmm.....
When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
in line mode on a non-HP screen.

Not having an HP screen in my office means a long walk to the Computer
room to use the console to setup/delete users.

Can obviously do this without SAM, its just that reconfig was nice to
use.

  Andy

--

Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (05/21/91)

>When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
>to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
>in line mode on a non-HP screen.
>
>Not having an HP screen in my office means a long walk to the Computer
>room to use the console to setup/delete users.
>
>Can obviously do this without SAM, its just that reconfig was nice to
>use.
>
>  Andy

We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?

Perry

awhitton@bwdlh128.BNR.CA (Alan Whitton) (05/22/91)

In article <5570642@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) writes:
|> >When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
|> >to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
|> >in line mode on a non-HP screen.
|> >
|> >Not having an HP screen in my office means a long walk to the Computer
|> >room to use the console to setup/delete users.
|> >
|> >Can obviously do this without SAM, its just that reconfig was nice to
|> >use.
|> >
|> >  Andy
|>
|> We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?
|>
|> Perry

It helps, but what about an X11 xterm? I would have thought that was
the next logical choice (of course I never studied logic :-).

Be Seeing You,
Alan Whitton
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"
BITNET: awhitton@bnr.ca  OR  UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!forum!awhitton

logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) (05/22/91)

awhitton@bwdlh128.BNR.CA (Alan Whitton) writes:

>|> We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?
>|>
>|> Perry

>It helps, but what about an X11 xterm? I would have thought that was
>the next logical choice (of course I never studied logic :-).

>Be Seeing You,
>Alan Whitton
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"
>BITNET: awhitton@bnr.ca  OR  UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!forum!awhitton

A X11 XTERM is VT100 compatiable.

--
Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                            FAX:   +61 7 837 4704

lodin@plains.NoDak.edu (Steve Lodin@Delco Electronics) (05/22/91)

In article <5570642@hpfcdc.HP.COM> perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) writes:

>We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?
>
>Perry

Yes.  Thanks.

Steven W. Lodin
Advanced Instrumentation Engineering
Delco Electronics Corp

AT&T:    (317) 451-8722    GM: 8-322-8722
Domain:  lodin%aiehost.uucp@[iuvax.cs.indiana.edu or dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu]
  or     lodin@plains.nodak.edu
  or     swlodin@koess.gm.hac.com
UUCP:    [iuvax or pur-ee]!aiehost!lodin
GM:      LODIN, SW <KOESS::SWLODIN>

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (05/22/91)

In article <5570642@hpfcdc.HP.COM> perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) writes:

> >When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
> >to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
> >in line mode on a non-HP screen.
> >

> We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?

what about just supporting terminfo and be done with it?

-wayne

awhitton@bwdlh128.BNR.CA (Alan Whitton) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.184707.5495@bwdls61.bnr.ca>,

writes:

|> It helps, but what about an X11 xterm? I would have thought that was
|> the next logical choice (of course I never studied logic :-).

Many thanks to those who pointed out that in fact a XTERM is a vt100
emulation.

Cheers,
Alan
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May21.212906.3374@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au> logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) writes:
>A X11 XTERM is VT100 compatiable.
>--
>Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au

It isn't true to say that's compatible. An Xterm is a pretty good
emulation, but it isn't complete (or fast).

			vic
--
Victor Gavin <vic@grep.co.uk||..!ukc!grep!vic||..!ukc!vision!grep!vic>

In article <WAYNE.91May22092822@dsndata.uucp> wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
>In article <5570642@hpfcdc.HP.COM> perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) writes:
>> >When SAM replaced reconfig in HP-UX 7, I wish they had written it
>> >to allow the "-m" option as in reconfig, so that you could run it
>> >in line mode on a non-HP screen.
>> We added vt100 and wyse30 support for 8.0.  Does this help ?
>what about just supporting terminfo and be done with it?

The first problem is that HP decided to use a product called JAM
(JYACC application manager) to write SAM. But JAM didn't support the
HP term0 terminals very well, so HP found a way for it to do all that
they wanted. But now they couldn't use ordinary terminals because they
didn't have some of the facilities that they needed for SAM (like on
screen softkeys).

The second problem is that HP still doesn't have an up-to-date version
of terminfo and curses to allow better support of softkeys and colours
(amongst other things). They seem determined not to update to the
facilities available under System V.3

The solution would be to have something like CUSTOM for SCO unix,
which doesn't depend upon softkeys but uses lotus-style option
selection bars. Other than that the rest is just form filling in.
Of course SCO uses the FORMS/MENU stuff that comes with System V.3
which HP doesn't support/supply.

Other than that I think SAM's pretty good except when it isn't and
then it's a pain.

			vic