[comp.sys.hp] Vax 9000 or Apollo DN10000 sites ?

zvr@ntua.gr (Alexios Zavras) (05/16/91)

    We are evaluating alternatives for a complete upgrade of our main
computer facility.  Are there any sites that have either:
(a) a Vax 9000 (preferably 410 or 310), or
(b) a ring of Apollos DN 10000 (3 or 4) ?
    If you have such a system running (or even know where we can get
in touch with someone using it), please contact me.

    Anyone who wants to make any comments on the machines, or even on the
mainframe vs. workstations debate, e-mail or post.
Many thanks in advance,
-- zvr --
    +---------------------------+	Alexios Zavras (-zvr-)
    | H eytyxia den exei enoxes |	zvr@ntua.gr
    +-----------------------zvr-+	zvr@theseas.ntua.gr
Somebody said it couldn't be done  /  But he with a chuckle replied,
Maybe it couldn't, but he would be one  /  Who never said no till he tried.
So he buckled right in  /  With a brace and a grin
                                       And if he was worried, he hid it,
He started to sing  /  As he tackled the thing
                                       That couldn't be done
                                       And he did it.

system@aurum.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (05/22/91)

In article <1339@theseas.ntua.gr> zvr@ntua.gr writes:
>    We are evaluating alternatives for a complete upgrade of our main
>computer facility.  Are there any sites that have either:
>(a) a Vax 9000 (preferably 410 or 310), or
>(b) a ring of Apollos DN 10000 (3 or 4) ?

To get a good view of the (lack of) future for the DN10000, see the
USENET letter now available for signatures in comp.sys.apollo.
Having one DN10000 is enough trouble, 3 or 4 would put the lucky (:-))
sysadmin into the loony bin (though maybe they work properly on a Token
Ring - we have Ethernet). The system most departments I know of are
looking at the new 720/730 - for those already accustomed to HP-UX,
should be a simple upgrade; for those of us from BSD land, a definite
step down in software portability, up in cpu power.

Mike (DN10000/BSD sysadmin).
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

jason@hpcndjdz.CND.HP.COM (Jason Zions) (05/26/91)

> - for those already accustomed to HP-UX,
>should be a simple upgrade; for those of us from BSD land, a definite
>step down in software portability, up in cpu power.

That "step down" in portability gets a helluva lot better (i.e. smaller)
with the HP-UX 8.0 release, which comes with the series 700 and will shortly
be shipping for the other HP-UX machines.
--
This is not an official statement of The Hewlett-Packard Company. No
warranty is expressed or implied. The information included herein is not to

Jason Zions			The Hewlett-Packard Company
Colorado Networks Division	3404 E. Harmony Road
Mail Stop 102			Ft. Collins, CO  80525  USA
jason@cnd.hp.com		(303) 229-3800

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (05/26/91)

In article <1730092@hpcndjdz.CND.HP.COM> jason@hpcndjdz.CND.HP.COM (Jason Zions) writes:
>That "step down" in portability gets a helluva lot better (i.e. smaller)
>with the HP-UX 8.0 release, which comes with the series 700 and will shortly
>be shipping for the other HP-UX machines.

Why aren't the BSD F77/I77/U77 libraries supplied? The lack of them
is going to break most of our large FORTRAN applications.