[comp.sys.hp] Mounting a BASIC disk under HP-UX.

gill@mars.m2c.org (Robert Gill) (05/28/91)

Hi All:

I have an HP 9000/330 that has 2 disks attached to it.  One is running
BASIC and the other HP-UX 6.2.  I would like to access some of the data
files on the BASIC disk while running HP-UX.  Sounds simple enough, but
I know nothing about HP-UX or HP system in general (I work mostly with
Ultrix).

So, my question is, can it be done?  We are scheduled to received Rocky
Mountain BASIC in the next few days.  Will this help matters any???  If
need be I can find out the model of disk that are being used.

The purpose of this exercise (for the curious) is to transfer some data
files from the HP system to a VMS machine.  The transfer itself will be
done using FTP (the VMS machine runs some software that does TCP/IP).

Mucho thanks in advance for all the information I'll receive.

Regards,
Bob
Robert W. Gill (gill@odin.m2c.org)  --------  Mass. Microelectronics Center

Bizarrenesss is the essence of the exotic. -- the fortune file
Disclaimer:  They're my thoughts, I think...

steve-t@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (05/29/91)

/comp.sys.hp/ gill@mars.m2c.org (Robert Gill) /9:32am  May 28, 1991/
| I have an HP 9000/330 that has 2 disks attached to it.  One is running
| BASIC and the other HP-UX 6.2.  I would like to access some of the data
| files on the BASIC disk while running HP-UX.  ...
| So, my question is, can it be done?

In general, yes, in several ways.  Which version of BASIC are you running
on the 330?  If it's 5.0 or later, is the BASIC disk using HFS format (same
as HP-UX) or LIF format?

Pre-5.0 BASIC:				5.0 or later BASIC:
Use LIF utilities on HP-UX,		Still can use LIF utilities on HP-UX,
some file types will present		but a better way would be to either:
problems.  Consider upgrade of		access HP-UX disk from BASIC and write
BASIC to later version.			files there (use HPUX filetype) or
					(if BASIC disk is HFS format) mount
					BASIC disk on HP-UX and read files
					(non-HPUX filetypes will present some
					problems).

| We are scheduled to received Rocky Mountain BASIC in the next few days.
| Will this help matters any???

Uhmm, the BASIC you already have would also be RMB.  Question is, which
version.  There's also RMB/UX, which might make things simpler (you could
avoid rebooting the 330, for example), but I think you need a more recent
release of HP-UX for that.

| If need be I can find out the model of disk that are being used.

Don't think that would matter.

| The purpose of this exercise (for the curious) is to transfer some data
| files from the HP system to a VMS machine.  The transfer itself will be
| done using FTP (the VMS machine runs some software that does TCP/IP).

There's also a third-party product that enables HP BASIC to talk TCP/IP.
Called FUSION, comes from Network Research Corp.  But again, you need at
least BASIC 5.0 to use it.
						Regards, Steve taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) (05/29/91)

gill@mars.m2c.org (Robert Gill) writes:
> I have an HP 9000/330 that has 2 disks attached to it.  One is running
> BASIC and the other HP-UX 6.2.  I would like to access some of the data
> files on the BASIC disk while running HP-UX.

Yes, it can be done.

First, there a 2 different file systems that your HP BASIC disk could
be. HP BASIC was initially written to use LIF file systems. Since HP
BASIC 5.X they have added the capability to use HFS file systems (the
file system that HP-UX uses). The first step is to determine the type
of file system that your HP BASIC disk is (my guess would be LIF - a
CAT under HP BASIC will answer this - if it's HFS, it'll say so).

If it is LIF, you can't mount it, but there are LIF utilities bundled
with HP-UX ('man lif' for more info). If it is HFS, then you can mount
the file system (you might need to fsck it first).

Hope this helps.

--
               Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
                (..!uunet!srlvx0.srl.ford.com!wehr%dptc.decnet)