[comp.sys.hp] dump on a DAT

jcm8_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Judy Mathers) (05/29/91)

We just got a DAT drive at work, and we'd like to run dump for backup.
Currently we are just tarring everything to tape which is a bit slow and
inefficient.  I was wondering if anyone had used dump and can supply the
necessary parameters.

-judy
jcm8_cif@cc.rochester.edu
uunet!rochester!ur-cc!jcm8_cif

gabby@gabs.lbl.gov (Gabby Obegi) (05/30/91)

In article <14272@ur-cc.UUCP> jcm8_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Judy Mathers) writes:
>We just got a DAT drive at work, and we'd like to run dump for backup.
>Currently we are just tarring everything to tape which is a bit slow and
>inefficient.  I was wondering if anyone had used dump and can supply the
>necessary parameters.

We've got twelve 9000 s300/400 servers with a total of over 10 Gigabytes that
we've been backing up on an Exabyte using the dump command.  We've been doing
this for more than a year now and it's worked very well.  Here are the
commands we're using, followed by what you should do with them:

For a local dump -

  /etc/dump ${dump_level}budfs 20 54000 ${device_file} 6000 /

To dump a remote disk onto the local tape -

   remsh ${remote_host}  "/etc/dump ${dump_level}budfs 20 54000 - 6000 /" | \
   dd obs=20b of=${device_file}

The above commands contain variables used in our backup script; replace these
with what you need.

Explanation of command line arguments:

dump_level - dump wil backup any file that is newer that the last dumpdate of
             the same level or lower. So, use dump_level 0 for a base backup
             and a dump_level higher for incremental backups.
b          - specifies block size.  20 is standard.
u          - write the date and time to /etc/dumpdates, only if it completes
			 successfully.
d          - This is a density option.  It's used to calculate the amount of
             tape being used and has no affect on the way the data is written.
f          - allows you to specify the outfile name or device file name.
s          - The size of the dump tape in feet.  We use 6000 for 2.2 Gbytes,
			 I suggest you try 3500.

These command should do the job, but if you'd like more information on the
backup scripts we use, let me know.

Gabby Obegi, CAE Systems Manager
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
MS 90-2148                                                 (415) 486-5209
1 Cyclotron Rd                                       Fax:  (415) 486-6668
Berkeley, CA. 94720                             Internet: G_Obegi@LBL.gov

-Gab