[comp.sys.hp] Diskless HP400 is slooooooow

blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) (05/30/91)

We have a pair of HP/Apollo 9000/400's with 8MB memory and color
screens running under OS version 7.0.  One of the machines is
diskless, and unbelievably slow.  I'm talking 90 seconds for hp-vue to
come up after login.  I expect that the configuration is nutty, but we
haven't found anything wrong yet.  We are using the configuration as
delivered from HP for both hardware and software.

The sales-critter insisted that 8MB is plenty for a diskless node, I
questioned that first.  Unfortunately, I can't figure any way to ask
an HP how much swapping or paging it is doing.  Is there a way to find
out, or better yet a graphical Xdisplay of same?  We are all used to
SunOS, and flounder about in the mixed SysV*Berkeley*POSIX environment
that Sys7 seems to be.

Is there a common config problem that can cause this trouble?
Is there a good test or two to find out?

--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

stanb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Stan Bischof) (05/31/91)

In comp.sys.hp, blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) writes:

>We have a pair of HP/Apollo 9000/400's with 8MB memory and color
>screens running under OS version 7.0.  One of the machines is
>diskless, and unbelievably slow.  I'm talking 90 seconds for hp-vue to
>come up after login.  I expect that the configuration is nutty, but we

>The sales-critter insisted that 8MB is plenty for a diskless node, I

for the totally 'non-official' HP response:

        I'm surprised it's that fast with running VUE on 8 meg machine.
        VUE is a great application (I use it always) but no way is
        it acceptable with 8 meg. It's marginal with 16. You're doing
        a LOT of swapping, that's much of what is taking so long.

        8 meg may be 'plenty' to run raw unix with no applications, but
        it is nowhere near enough for X, let alone to run VUE.

        Buy at least another 16 meg of RAM and you'll be happy. Easy to
        demonstrate- borrow some RAM and try it out!

Of course, this is a totally unofficial personal opinion and in no way
reflects the beliefs of HP or any of our sales-critters.

Stan Bischof
HP-NMD

bcripe@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Brian E. Cripe) (06/01/91)

> We have a pair of HP/Apollo 9000/400's with 8MB memory and color
> screens running under OS version 7.0.  One of the machines is
> diskless, and unbelievably slow.  I'm talking 90 seconds for hp-vue to
> come up after login.
> The sales-critter insisted that 8MB is plenty for a diskless node, I
> questioned that first.

8 Mbyte is adequate for some diskless node configurations, but it is
not adequate to support HP VUE.  I believe we don't recommend VUE on
systems with less than 12 Mbyte of RAM.

	Brian Cripe

P.S.  Standard disclaimer -- this is my personal understanding, not
a pronouncement by HP.