[comp.sys.hp] New 110 MIPS HP Snake at under $10,000.

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (05/28/91)

It seems that there are more Snakes that HP are about to let loose soon.
The following are excerpts from articles publishe in 'Unigram.X'.

No. 334, May 20-24, 1991:

  "Not content to rest on its laurels, Hewlett-Packard is said to be
  readying an entry-level, 25 MHz, Motorola-based workstation rated at 22
  MIPS that'll come in under $5,000--and if that wasn't enough, the firm
  is also reported to be working on a low-end version of its recently
  launched Series 700 Snakes priced at under $10,000 and performing at 110
  MIPS: it's dubbed the Bushwhacker, according to 'Electronic News'."

No. 334, May 20-24, 1991:

  "... And Sources at Hewlett-Packard say the low-end version of its
  recently launched Series 700 Snake, tipped to do 110 MIPS at under
  $10,000, (UX No 334), is exceeding all expectations in the labs; it's
  presently codenamed Bushmaster -- not Bushwhacker as originally reported
  -- though the same sources say that they liked the name so much they'll
  be trying to get it adopted officially!"

Bo

---

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\       INTERNET: bt@irfu.se     UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

In article <2070@kuling.UUCP> irf@kuling.DoCS.UU.SE (Bo Thide') writes:
>The following are excerpts from articles publishe in 'Unigram.X'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^published

>No. 334, May 20-24, 1991:
^^^^^335,^^^^^27-31

Sorry about the typos.

Bo
bt@irfu.se

gary@chpc.utexas.edu (Gary Smith) (05/29/91)

I'm interested in the sustainable memory bandpass between the D-cache
and main memory on the Snake series.  Anyone know what it is?  Can it
sustain two 64-bit operands each clock?  If not, we have one more CPU
that can sit and wait for memory, right?
--
---Gary

Randolph Gary Smith                       Internet: gary@chpc.utexas.edu
Systems Group                             Phonenet: (512) 471-2411
Center for High Performance Computing     Snailnet: 10100 Burnet Road
The University of Texas System                      Austin, Texas 78758-4497

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (05/29/91)

Gary> I'm interested in the sustainable memory bandpass between the D-cache
Gary> and main memory on the Snake series.  Anyone know what it is?  Can it
Gary> sustain two 64-bit operands each clock?  If not, we have one more CPU
Gary> that can sit and wait for memory, right?

Yes.  The current HP9000/7x0 machines can effectively manage one
32-bit word per clock cycle from main memory to cache.  I think they
do this as one 64-bit word every other cycle.

Since cache lines are 64 bytes long, and assuming an 8-cycle penalty
for a cache miss, we get an estimate of the sustainable bandwidth
between memory and D-cache of one 64-bit word every 4 clock cycles.

This can be compared to the rate of one 64-bit word every 2 cycles on
the IBM RS/6000-320 (the more expensive machines do a bit better).

Since the HP machines run at about twice the clock speed of the IBM
machines, one sees about the same absolute sustainable memory
bandwidth, and similar performance on bandwidth-limited computations.
--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

bdg@idaho.amdahl.com (Blaine Gaither) (05/30/91)

Any bets on which vendor will come out with the Mongoose system!

--

Blaine Gaither
Amdahl Corporation

mike@socrates.umd.edu (mike santangelo (UNIX/VMS Sys Staff)) (05/31/91)

bdg@idaho.amdahl.com (Blaine Gaither) writes:

>Any bets on which vendor will come out with the Mongoose system!

IBM already has their project 'mongoose' in the works, a low end
and a high end RS/6000.  Honestly, apparently it really is called
the 'mongoose' project, and for this reason!

--
                                  Mike Santangelo (mike@socrates.umd.edu)
                                  UNIX / VMS Systems Manager

pcc@hobbes.apollo.hp.com (Peter Craine) (06/01/91)

In article <BDG.91May30095404@targhee.idaho.amdahl.com>,
bdg@idaho.amdahl.com (Blaine Gaither) writes:
|> Any bets on which vendor will come out with the Mongoose system!

It's already a "rumored" system in IBM.  Of course, if mongoose does to snakes
what the VAX killer did to the VAX, I don't think that HP has much to worry
about.

    Peter Craine               +"This week heaven includes arson, multiple
    Hewlett-Packard            +   homocide, and an attempt on the life of a
    Chelmsford Response Center +   Federal agent."
                               +"Heaven is a large and interesting place, sir."
            *I* don't want my opinions.  Why would HP?

rampson@flash (Michael T. Rampson) (06/03/91)

In article <BDG.91May30095404@targhee.idaho.amdahl.com>,
bdg@idaho.amdahl.com (Blaine Gaither) writes:
> Any bets on which vendor will come out with the Mongoose system!
>
> --
>
> Blaine Gaither
> Amdahl Corporation
>   143 No. 2nd East St., Rexburg, Idaho 83440-1619
>   UUCP:{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!tetons!bdg          (208) 356-8915
>   INTERNET: bdg@tetons.idaho.amdahl.com

IBM has apparently called a project mongoose.  They are currently
working on a version of
the RS/6000 that will run 76 MIPS or better (no mention of price though
;-).  This was
sighted in UNIX TODAY.

__
The objective of all dedicated employees should be to thoroughly
analyze all situations, anticipate all problems prior to their
occurrence, have answers for these problems, and move swiftly to solve
these problems when called upon.

However, When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to
remind yourself your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

    	    	    	    	    	    rampson@uswat

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (06/04/91)

The EISA adaptor card for the 720 is called "Mongoose".